Will owners of Origin games receive Steam keys when they release on Steam?

by DunnyWasTaken

Original Post

Will owners of Origin games receive Steam keys when they release on Steam?

★★ Guide

As EA are currently putting more of their games on Steam at the moment with 12 added today. When other games like Battlefield V get added, will owners of these games on Origin get a key to activate these games on Steam?

Also could you put Medal of Honor: Allied Assault on Steam, I would buy that digitally through Steam so I don't have to use my physical copy anymore.

Message 1 of 72 (53,469 Views)

Re: Will owners of Origin games receive Steam keys when they release on Steam?

Community Manager

Hi @DunnyWasTaken

If you link your Origin account with Steam you should be able to download and install the available EA games through your Steam library. For more info on how this works check out the EA Help website

That said, I haven't heard any details about other games that may be added to Steam in the future, I'm afraid. 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 2 of 72 (53,377 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It’s not possible to link accounts without purchasing an EA game on Steam. How to do this without owning a new EA game in Steam? The site does not have a snap function, it is only available when starting new games like Fallen Order

Message 3 of 72 (53,318 Views)

★★ Guide

I was also thinking this, I have a few EA games on Steam already, the two I tested were Medal of Honor and Battlefield Bad Company 2 but in those Steam just gives you a Origin key to activate them on Origin (which is not even needed because they're both standalone and don't need Origin installed) and then has a EA account login on the main menu, there's nothing indicating that a Steam account is linked.

Side note: I think if EA doesn't end up giving current owners of Origin games a Steam key of the games then it's just a huge slap in the face for anyone who supported games through Origin. If I had known back then that BF5 was going to be on Steam in the future I would have waited til then to buy it. I also have Mass Effect 2 and The SIms 3 on Origin when they're already out on Steam, I would love to have them and all my games in one place in my Steam library but doesn't look like EA want that to happen or they do want it to happen, they just want me to buy the game twice.

Message 4 of 72 (53,301 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@EA_Kent No, this not work. If you link your Steam account with your Origin account, your games that you own on Origin will not be available on Steam. So you have to buy again all the game you have on Origin if you want them on Steam.

It's sad, but it's EA. They do nothing for costumers.
Message 5 of 72 (53,273 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@EA_Kent wrote:

Hi @DunnyWasTaken

If you link your Origin account with Steam you should be able to download and install the available EA games through your Steam library. For more info on how this works check out the EA Help website

That said, I haven't heard any details about other games that may be added to Steam in the future, I'm afraid. 

/Kent

can you please give us a better explanation? it's very confusing at the moment because we're not sure if we're supposed to purchase each and every one of our games again on Steam or if we can link our Origin and Steam accounts together and get access to all the games we already own, or at least those which are already available on Steam today.

In my case, I already own the entire trilogy of Dragon Age and their DLCs which got added today on Steam. I really don't want to buy a 2nd copy of each thing consdering I spend so much on them already.

A few people are claiming that in order to link your Origin and Steam accounts, you need to buy the new Star Wars game. That's the only way to link both platforms, and that's when your Steam account would get access for free to games that you already own i.e. Dragon Age 2. Is any of this true? 

Message 6 of 72 (53,240 Views)

Community Manager

Hey everyone. 

I'm sorry, I misunderstood the initial question. 

Since Steam and Origin are separate platforms you would need to purchase the game via Steam if you wanted to launch the game there instead of through the Origin client. Buying a game on one platform wouldn't allow you to play through the other. 

Hopefully that clarifies things, and again, I apologize for my misunderstanding initially. 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 7 of 72 (53,107 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

No problem for the misunderstanding, it happens. But I would like to express my disappointment at EA for not providing loyal customers with Steam keys. Maybe EA Help customer service can help, I'll probably try contact them when BFV comes out on Steam.

Edit: Just want to clarify that maybe Steam keys wouldn't be the best solution but maybe a process of linking your Steam and Origin accounts as you mentioned which then adds a license of the games you own on Origin to Steam? That might be an idea devs.

Message 8 of 72 (53,083 Views)

★ Apprentice

Just some feedback. This is understandable if EA provided native Steam versions - utilising achievements, steam cloud and the like. As I'm sure most would, I would be happy to pay for the games again.

But the stark difference here which should be apparent is the newly released games on Steam are exactly the same as an Origin version requiring the same Origin client within Steam. They may have slight differences but the real difference between my Origin copy and the Steam one is mute. Why should I or others be charged twice?

It's simply not right that EA requires existing owners of the game on Origin to buy the exact same copy of our games in a Origin mini client within Steam with no achievements whatsoever. If EA is going to force Steam users to use the Origin client, it should be allowing us to activate those games thru Steam account linking since we are using essentially the same game on the same Origin client. I would imagine the incoming EA Access uses the account linking to activate and deactivate games based on subscription. That same system should easily work for existing owners.

While I as I'm sure most are, are stoked to see EA back on Steam, this double charging using the same client with no Steam features ultimately did Ubisoft no favours. How about EA build some goodwill and not penalise fans who have already bought your games thru Origin.

Message 9 of 72 (52,917 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi Kent

Just some feedback, I am very disappointed  that we will not be able to choose what launcher we are able to play on.

For instance I had some older disc copies of Dawn of War, which I would like to have on steam and the relic support team very kindly allowed me to access a steam key. 

Surly if we have brought the game we should be able to play it on whatever platform we choose that the game is supported on .

To me this decision seems quite unfriendly to loyal long term origin users such as myself, if you were to reverse this the community would be very thankful, and I couldn't see how it would negatively impact origin.

Would steam support be able to help me on this matter?

I would appreciate your reply to this.

Thanks

Message 10 of 72 (52,903 Views)