Re: Why is safe mode no longer available on Origin? I need it!

by DinowCookie

Original Post

Why is safe mode no longer available on Origin? I need it!

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

tl;dr Because my internet connection is too slow, and safe download mode is no longer available in Origin, I cannot download the most recent Sims 4 patch nor play my game.

When the Sims 4 was available for free for a limited time, I made sure to grab it.

I've also mix-'n-matched my own bundle (Get Together, Vampires, Fitness Stuff), and purchased Seasons, Parenthood & Laundry Day. (€💀) 

Now when I downloaded all of the above, my only working option was to enable safe mode via Origin. This troubleshooting page showed me how.

If I try to download without safe mode enabled, my download simply does not initiate, or crashes after several Mb's.

For good measure, my internet speed is 2 mbit down, 0,5 mbit up. It's not unstable, but it is slow, and shared with 4 people...

Today, after a stressful day at work, I wanted to launch my game but it simply wouldn't... First, because Origin launched completely blank (window opens, no info shows up). 

After browsing Answers HQ for a bit, I found out how to clean Origin cache which solved the issue of Origin not loading up properly. 

But once I managed to start up Origin properly again, I saw there's a Sims 4 patch (June 18) which is 6.3 GB (!? 💢) big. Which would take me about a day to download to begin with, but the download simply won't start. Error: -4:504. And while normally I would use safe mode to download as mentioned above, that setting has simply vanished from the Origin menu. 😭

After chatting with an EA support employee, I was sent a PC connection troubleshooting page. Which I ran through, but it didn't help. Obviously really, because my connectivity is fine, the connection isn't "bad", it's just slow and Origin doesn't seem to be built to work for slow connections. 

This is SUPER frustrating really. Being unable to play came at a bad time (needed to wind down this evening. ;-; I came home with a tense moodlet!)

+ I've never spent this much money on a game, while not being able to afford much to begin with, and then not having access to it is just extra painful. 🙄

Currently, my only option seems to use somebody else's internet connection. But our connection at work is bad too and has to be available for more important issues. I don't know anyone otherwise who I could easily visit and ask for help here. Just need to be able to download this patch from my home connection and I'm lost as to how. 😓

So EA / Origin, please give me safe mode back. 😔 

Any new advice on how I can possibly manage to download this patch would be highly appreciated. 💗

Message 1 of 15 (24,596 Views)

Champion (Retired)

To enable Safe Mode downloading Open Origin and click Origin then Application Settings. On the Diagnostics tab at the bottom enable Safe Mode Downloading.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 2 of 15 (24,563 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@jpkarlsen As described in the topic, that option is no longer available for me in the place you're describing. I'll attach another screenshot to show you that it's gone. 😅 Screenshot attached. Troubleshooting only allows me Origin In-Game logging, not Safe Mode Downloading.

(Posts merged by CM)

Message 3 of 15 (24,561 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Are on a Mac?

Please uninstall Origin. Then download the latest version here: https://www.origin.com/dnk/en-us/store/download
After installation login to the account you have The Sims 4 on. Rightclick the game in your game library and select Repair.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 4 of 15 (24,547 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@jpkarlsen I'm not on Mac, but I haven't actually re-installed Origin yet, only enabled Origin updates. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes. 

Update: Entirely uninstalled Origin and then downloaded the launcher and installed the latest version. Didn't bring back the Safe mode downloading option. I believe Origin has removed it. 😔

Update: An EA support employee just informed me that safe mode downloading is indeed no longer a setting in Origin.

Right after that they instructed me to close all my background processes via Task Manager which consequently also killed our chat. 😅

Still stuck with the same issue, only now I am 100% certain that safe mode downloading is indeed not currently available on Origin. 💀

(Posts merged by CM)

Message 5 of 15 (24,543 Views)

Community Manager

@DinowCookie @jpkarlsen 

Removal of Safe Mode Downloading confirmed.

barry.png
Message 6 of 15 (24,479 Views)

Champion (Retired)

It seems your only option then is to borrow an Internet connection somewhere.

Message 7 of 15 (24,474 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@jpkarlsen Right, so then my only option is at my workplace when there are no colleagues or visitors... That'll be a while! 😓

That's really too ridiculous for words, Origin should take into account that some people simply have a slow connection. I hope they'll implement Safe mode downloading again sometime. :S

So that's no Sims 4 for at least another week for me. 😭💀

Thanks for trying to help anyway.
Message 8 of 15 (24,456 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

@DinowCookie Upgrade to the beta version of Origin and see if that addresses your concern.  There are some changes in that build that may help.

Alex
Origin Product Team
Message 9 of 15 (24,406 Views)

★★★ Newbie

beta mode is worked finally

by the way, it it so weird that I need to use beta mode to download apex

apex Error: -4:302 will be shown if I turn off the beta mode of origin

please fix it ASAP

Message 10 of 15 (24,285 Views)