Why does my origin always crash?

by AOD_Viribus_Vale

Original Post

Why does my origin always crash?

★★★★★ Novice

Why does my Origin just randomly decide to crash? it's not just me, but lots of other people I play with.

For instance, let's say I open Origin and I play a game for a while. I close the game. Origin decides to crash.

Let's say I am typing to someone while in game, using the overlay. Hmm why aren't they responding? Oh Origin crashed.

I started Origin, went to get a cup of tea, now let's play som.... oh Origin crashed.

For no apparent reason, Origin just crashes. All the bloody time. At least once a day.

Message 1 of 25 (1,149 Views)

Re: Why does my origin always crash?

Community Manager

I'm not seeing other reports of this @AOD_Viribus_Vale so the best thing to do when this occurs takes a couple of minutes to go through the following steps:

Let me know how you get on.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 25 (1,103 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

To be honest it has happened to me too quite a lot.

It stopped now, but from December 2019 to April 2020 Origin kept crashing all the time.

Message 3 of 25 (1,081 Views)

★★★ Novice

Can confirm this happens to us all the time. I normally have to reboot origin a couple times a day because either it crashes and I can't send or accept invites or the friends list goes offline. I've tried all the steps you mentioned and it's still an issue. I know of at least 20 other people that experience this same issue.

Message 4 of 25 (1,076 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@EA_Darko 

The crashing is only once or twice a week for me now but I have a major issue with the friends list, certain people's status is set to the same game constantly.

For example, I have a friend that has been playing the same game of HvV in SWBF2 for the last 9 days. Regardless of if they're actually online or not - they will still be in that game.

I have tried all of the fixes you mentioned. I can also confirm that multiple people are having this issue.

SaberHawk

Message 5 of 25 (1,044 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hello,

I have encountered the crashing issue a few times as well. It is not the most frequent issue for myself, but the friends list is constantly showing wrongful information. 
The most common one of these is that some people are "online" and playing a game, when in reality they are not and it also regularly happens that I just cannot see any one of my friends online, despite them actually being in a game already and definitely online in Origin.

I am running Win10 64 bit and would also be happy to send you my dxdiag if that is any help.

I hope my input helps resolve the issue,
Ephryx

Message 6 of 25 (1,009 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Thank you for your reply Darko.

Origin is not having connectivity problems, it has a problem with crashing for no reason. I went through the list.

So the time and date is definitely correct.

The anti-virus and firewall are fine and they have not nor are they currently causing any problems for Origin. -- also, quick note, your link doesn't actually mention firewalls or anti-virus at all. It links to a page about ports.

I don't use internet explorer and your link leads to a dead page.

Your link about LAN settings also leads to a non-existent page.

I cleared Origin cache.

Origin is still crashing.

Message 7 of 25 (953 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @AOD_Viribus_Vale the link to open the ports there is to ensure that your router has the required ports open, if you need step by step instructions on how to properly set up your anti-virus and firewall then the best thing to do is to search your device/program and use the official guides to set them correctly. If the ports are not opened for Origin and your games then I would recommend doing so now. 

You can find the link to reset Internet Explorer here, you may not use it but you still need to follow the steps: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/17441/windows-internet-explorer-change-reset-settings

This Microsoft help thread will assist with the Lan setting issue: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-iewindows8_1/lan-connection-settings-keep-changing...

Can I ask, do all the posters know each other given that all your usernames start with the AOD_? If so and you are all seeing the same issue then do you have anything in common such as software or hardware? 

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 8 of 25 (940 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hello Darko,

We are all members of clan AOD, so we play together, but since we are all from different countries or in some cases continents, I wouldnt bet on this having anything to to with common software or hardware.

I would wager the issue is with Origin itself, or or maybe some accidental occurence of common software that we are not aware of.

Best wishes,

Ephryx

Message 9 of 25 (904 Views)

Community Manager

As I am not seeing many other reports of this the best thing to do would be to gather a DxDiag to take a look at your systems: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

Darko

Darko.png
Message 10 of 25 (901 Views)