Why does Origin's download suck so bad?

by Rangerscott

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Why does Origin's download suck so bad?

★★ Novice

Why does Origin's download suck so bad?   Every game I've every downloaded since the start of Origin always stops when the game is nearly downloaded and takes forever for the last 3%.  It constantly stops at 0 bits and sits there, then starts back up until the download speeds drops to 0 again and again and again.  Pausing then resuming just makes it worse because it'll actually start over on a partion of the download.  Example: (Showed 5.60gb, paused, then resumed and now shows 5.56gb downloaded).

The download speeds are ungodly slow for my connection.  I can get 20-25MB down on steam any time but it's a battle on Origin to get a constant 5MB down.  Speeds are so sporadic.  

Message 1 of 8 (2,949 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Why does Origin's download suck so bad?

Community Manager

I tested Origin there and not seeing any issues with download speeds @Rangerscott.

Can you try the following steps :

• Disable all background programs on your system (including Steam). You can also do this with a clean boot
  • Temporarily disconnect all other devices that you don't need from your network
  • Use a wired connection
  • Make sure Origin is accepted in your anti-virus and firewall
  • You can also try using Safe Mode Downloading via Origin which is under Application Settings, Advanced

Darko

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 5 of 8 (2,872 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Guide
i dont work for EA.
https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/connection-troubleshooting-basic/
try the UOtrace

also add the EAcore.ini ( google it. )

then things stop that is actual bad, few possibilities, either you have been to long so server kick you out (timeout) or your own pc cant process it and you are not ready for more data also lead to (timeout) also seen that antivirus apps today can cause this also if Heuristic scanning ( deep scan or realtime scans) and ofc. system resource also matter here. most user's do have Requirements but it seen before, just because some have minimum requirement that dont mean it run well, i only mentions this you are not the only one that read this thread you made.

and ofc. you are not on wifi, most dedicate player know this, and yet we see so many do this.

but yes speed can increase/decrease this is internet know as Traffic congestion, most people dont have this problem, they have end traffic problem, and that means either you cant keep up with the flow so your pc tell end router slow down this is know by network engineer or EAserver cant keep up if they got multi DL on same time lead to share outgoing bandwide. ( its same then you hear that a million of user dl same thing so server go down or huge slow down , its understandable then that happend, but this is not the case with normal service )

this was little about network topoplogic and understanding.
and yes who said just because you have world biggest wan line, that dont mean next hop from your ISP can give you full download, so many dont know this. it require you paid for this , this is know as dedicate lines, and most private users cant afford such.

so try that UOtrace app ( a EA that help ultima online players way back but still good enough for EA to use )
Message 2 of 8 (2,936 Views)

★★ Novice

Origin is the ONLY program I use that sucks at downloading.   After reading the long thread under mine and trying all things suggested, I can come to the conclusion it's EA's end that is affecting so many people.

Message 3 of 8 (2,930 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

There is also bottleneck with win10, some play games sametime and that will reduce DL speed ( most call this windows sizing ) it try keep a game lag free and dl sametime, you can test this with other pc download there and play on other, can lead to laggy game, and is sort-off proof that you wan line is at maximum and you are the congestion in this case,
and many forget that harddisk load or play a game while download also lead to ½ throughput on same disk, ( pc owner know this, same as make multi copy to same disk only make it slow )
so there is alot of pc system issue sametime.

but do check own cable, most bugs has been seen at users own equipment, cable dont like bend or pulled , you ruin the cable conditions and trasferrate will suffer from this. most user know this. but years ago a 10meter cable was 12 meter, so year seen abit of everything

also check if router need firmware or IOS update depend on router type.
goto Brand router support Site. ( most user dont do this. but sometimes it actual fix it. )

same can be said with netcard drivers ( nic )

most have onboard , then its morhterboard brand support site or pc brand

Message 4 of 8 (2,906 Views)

Community Manager

I tested Origin there and not seeing any issues with download speeds @Rangerscott.

Can you try the following steps :

• Disable all background programs on your system (including Steam). You can also do this with a clean boot
  • Temporarily disconnect all other devices that you don't need from your network
  • Use a wired connection
  • Make sure Origin is accepted in your anti-virus and firewall
  • You can also try using Safe Mode Downloading via Origin which is under Application Settings, Advanced

Darko

Darko.png
Message 5 of 8 (2,873 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@EA_Darko All this is not working.
It takes me 21 hours to download fifa 20.
someone has to do something about these speeds.
Message 6 of 8 (2,092 Views)

Community Manager

Sorry to hear that @ADI-CONQUER. I'm testing it now and I have 42% of the game downloaded in under 20 minutes. Have you checked your speeds to and ensured that your network is optimised? 

Darko

Darko.png
Message 7 of 8 (2,061 Views)

★★★ Newbie

your full of it mate origin is the worst thing ever for downloading games sort it out 

Message 8 of 8 (488 Views)