When will Origin ID accept Special characters as their own character?

by FPS_Contagion

Original Post

Accepted Solution

When will Origin ID accept Special characters as their own character?

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie

I have both contacted Support and the very nice representative claimed to have forward our conversation and ideas to a dev team. with that being said we ran into an issue of characters that are in fact currently allowed yet can't represent being their ow "Character". I have username "123_Example" but i wanted to change it into just  "Example" or even "Example_". When talking to the representative they had mentioned that both username were in fact "taken" so they tried their best to help me pursue even further. I then proceeded to ask to check up on other names. and by the end these were all the names we tried. "Example", "Example_", "Example__" "_Example", and "__Example". all 5 names had led to the account of one person with the original name being "Example" however when registered with another Non- Special character after an underscore worked fine. So far this is the first time i have run into this issue among all platform and gaming accounts that i have currently 9 to be exact. I'm sure it's a small fix that would help a much larger pool of community. I can't be the only one to have tried right?

Message 1 of 5 (13,931 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: When will Origin ID accept Special characters as their own character?

Community Manager

Sorry to say but this is working as intended and not something which is likely to change @FPS_Contagion as simply adding an _ to a username is not enough of a unique identity.

Best thing to do is try playing around with the spelling, replace I with 1 for example.

Darko 

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (13,913 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Sorry to say but this is working as intended and not something which is likely to change @FPS_Contagion as simply adding an _ to a username is not enough of a unique identity.

Best thing to do is try playing around with the spelling, replace I with 1 for example.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 2 of 5 (13,914 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I understand this post is from sometime ago, but this REALLY should be changed.

Think about your competitors and the much much better way that they handle usernames.

Steam requires a unique username, but allows any displayname that you want.

Battlenet allows any displayname you want too and then simply associated a unique number with each players account.

Do you understand how frustrating it is to have the same username across platforms only to see it taken on Origin and be unable to fix it in an elegant way? (such as putting an underscore between words, etc).

This system is just terrible. Not to mention how silly it is that names that seemingly contain "Eagle" are banned too? What on earth -- it just makes me want to abandon the platform and use better ones.

Frankly your comment that "this is working as intended" and "_" isn't unique enough of an identity is baffling to me -- why do you believe a number or "leet" style text makes something more unique in an acceptable way while an underscore or special character does not? That's just your opinion on how you prefer it to work -- if you just don't want to put in the dev time then admit it, but don't lie with such an obviously terrible argument.

Origin does usernames worse than almost every single other PC gaming steam-style platform, that's the truth and you should fix it. And fix it without borking the whole thing like Blizzard did by charging people money to change their usernames. And people wonder why everyone prefers Steam smh -- it's obvious if you're an actual user.

Message 3 of 5 (12,578 Views)

★★ Novice

I think this needs to be re-evaluated and updated. The simple fact that there are a literal * ton of posts on this same issue over the past 10 years (TEN YEARS!) should be an indicator that it is NOT working as efficiently as it should be, even if it's working "as intended."

Rather than continue to lock posts and give the same cookie-cutter response, the least you guys could do is provide an update as to why nothing has been done and why the ID system has not been improved.

The fact that I can't pick an ID that is unique on it's face because it is part of someone else's longer ID (in terms of characters) is awful. Let me give you an example. The ID I want is "phase1NE." It's my XBOX Gamertag, twitter handle, twitch name, discord ID, Steam ID, Reddit username etc. Literally, nobody else has it--not even on Origin. However, I can't choose "phase1NE" on origin because one (that's right, just one) other person has the ID "phase1neCOD." This is why my ID is "iPhase1NE."

The fact that those two IDs are not considered "unique" and allowed is ridiculous. I'm sure there are some instances where two IDs would not be considered "unique" by the Origin definition, but, at least in my example, I feel like I have a strong argument that my ID-- "phase1NE" --should be acceptable and considered unique.

Thanks for your time. @EA_Darko 

Message 4 of 5 (11,668 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us @phase1NEx, I will pass it on to the team.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 5 of 5 (11,646 Views)