Re: Unable to play the sims - Errors

by bittencm

Original Post

Unable to play the sims - Errors

★★★★ Novice

I am about to lose it. No matter what I do, I cannot get the Sims to work. I am trying to play the Legacy edition. 

1. First time, I was able to download, yay! But when I hit play, it immediately grays out and my computer seems to think I am in the middle of playing The Sims. I am not in the middle of playing the Sims. I tried uninstalling and re-installing Origin but no dice. Just decided to do a clean re-install of everything. I had the Legacy option installed and I did not have the option to toggle between versions in the settings. The second I hit play, everything is permanently grayed out until I un-install and re-install the Sims. 

2. Now that I'm trying to re-install everything, I am 95% through and get the error 
There was a problem while updating your game. One or more files that requires an update may be in use. If the issue persists please restart your computer and resume the update.
Retry

NOTHING IS IN USE. I have tried to follow all troubleshooting steps, but it won't let me follow through. when I try to clear the origin cache, I can't delete all the files and get a similar error to the above. I decided to try uninstalling and re-installing origin, again, no dice. I'm even willing to stop this Sims download and start from scratch AGAIN, but now I can't seem to even be able to un-do all the progress from the partially downloaded version and am in limbo.

I am going crazy, it's been about a week of trying to get this game to work, even once! 

Message 1 of 36 (1,175 Views)

Hero
@bittencm Are you playing on PC or Mac ? Are you sure that you need the legacy Edition ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 36 (1,163 Views)

★★★★ Novice

PC and yes I have 32 bit and receive the notification legacy is required

Message 3 of 36 (1,152 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@bittencm What OS do you have ? Some are no longer supported anymore by Origin

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 36 (1,141 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Microsoft Windows 10 pro

Message 5 of 36 (1,137 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@bittencm

Do you get this message? "Unable to start: The Sims™ 4 is already running."
If yes, have a look here
https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2015/08/game-already-running/

I don't work for EA
Message 6 of 36 (1,137 Views)

★★★★ Novice

No, I’m getting that error message in #2 from my initial post while trying to finish the download. It was at 95% and I get the error from the origin client 

Message 7 of 36 (1,131 Views)

Hero
@bittencm Did you cancel the download now ? I would try turning off automatic game updates and then restart your computer and try downloading again.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 36 (1,105 Views)

★★★★ Novice

It won’t let me cancel the download, only re start it. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling origin and the sims stays stuck 

Message 9 of 36 (1,103 Views)

Hero
@bittencm Even if you force quit Origin and restart your computer ?

Do you have a folder The Sims 4 in the Origin Games folder in doc yet ? What happens if you move the _Installer folder to the desktop ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 10 of 36 (1,084 Views)