Re: Troubles connecting to the web when installing Origin

by CT-1061

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Troubles connecting to the web when installing Origin

★ Novice

This morning I purchased Star Wars BF2, and went straight to downloading the Origin Client. I picked the Windows version, as I have a Windows 7 (Home Premium) Service Pack 1 computer (2.10 GHz processor, and 4.00 GB RAM).

When I pressed "Download", the page provided me with the OriginThinSetup.exe. So I proceeded with its installation.

At first it looked like everything was going just fine, as the installation seemed to be proceeding. But then the software's window got replaced by a smaller window with this "cute" title:

COULD NOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET

With the detailed message stating:

Origin installation requires an internet connection but we were unable to connect to the internet. Please check our connection and try again. You may also download the latest version of Origin here:

The following has been tested:

• The internet works fine, both with the Ethernet cable and WiFi
  • I have checked the Windows firewall, and can't see anything that relates to Origin or ports
  • I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Origin software
  • I have followed several guides, including one from EA
  • I have added Origin to the Antivirus "Exceptions" list
  • Tested both OriginSetup.exe and OriginThinSetup.exe in different ways, including by running them as Admin

Also, the Operating System had been re-installed just a few days ago, hence it's brand new, clean, and empty. And I'm the only user on it, so I'm the Admin. Any suggestions would be most appreciated, as I have ran out of ideas.

UPDATE

I tested the software on an older laptop, which is slower and not the best quality for gaming, and the installation was successful. Also, I noticed that on the old laptop I get:

Author: Electronic Arts, Inc.

While on my newer laptop I get:

Author: Unknown author

Why do I get such difference, if the file is exactly the same? I don't understand.

Message 1 of 5 (500 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

@CT-1061 Good to hear that it is sorted, there can be any number of things causing this to happen, if you see it again can you go ahead and do a clean boot to see if it helps.

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (466 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@CT-1061 Best thing to do is disable your firewall and anti-virus and then try it again, in 99% of cases this issue can be resolved by trying disabling them.

Darko.png
Message 2 of 5 (476 Views)

★ Novice

Hi @EA_Darko, thanks for your reply. After opening this thread, I decided to perform such actions, but that didn't change much. Everything changed (oddly enough) when I restarted the computer, after Windows Update had installed important OS updates of different nature. Maybe there was a relation of some sort, but that, I don't know.

Message 3 of 5 (468 Views)

Community Manager

@CT-1061 Good to hear that it is sorted, there can be any number of things causing this to happen, if you see it again can you go ahead and do a clean boot to see if it helps.

Darko.png
Message 4 of 5 (467 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you @EA_Darko, I'll keep your advices in mind, shall I face this problem again.

Message 5 of 5 (449 Views)