The latest Origin update moves your games to Windows drive(GAMEBREAKING)

by KrudeGaming

Original Post

The latest Origin update moves your games to Windows drive(GAMEBREAKING)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

If Origin is installed not on your Windows drive, Origin when updating Windows, will try to move all these games to primary Windows drive for whatever reason, be it backup. My SSD storage on Windows is not enough to keep all these games, also I didn't give my permission to move all these games.

Not only that, it will make your disk usage shoot up to its maximum-100% so my Windows drive slows down whole PC, it feels very sluggish as it tries to write this many games to the drive, just poor experience overall. I didn't give Origin permission to back up anything or move my games.

I literally can't update Origin and can't access any games, I can't even start Origin in offline mode to play my games.

Piece of crap client. FIX YOUR ****

origin.PNG

Message 1 of 14 (1,097 Views)

Re: The latest Origin update moves your games to Windows drive(GAMEBREAKING)

★★★ Newbie

Same. C Drive = 250GB / D Drive = 6TB. Everything game is on D. All Origin paths settings are set to D. For some reason it wants to copy my entire D:\Origin\games to my tiny little C drive then complains when it doesn't work. Now I have to delete all my Origin games and reinstall everything again which will far surpass my ridiculous Comcast data cap. All because of a broken update. Thanks a lot EA

Message 2 of 14 (1,066 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Just copied the whole origin game directory to an external enclosure then ran uninstall for all the games that have to do with Origin. Running update now. Hope I can manually move them back afterwards. Ideally, Origin will recognize the games and install the windows registries without having to download every bit again.

Message 3 of 14 (1,060 Views)

EA DICE Team

@CyanideHou  @KrudeGaming 

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about these issues you're experiencing with Origin. This seems very strange behavior, so I'll make sure we'll check out what's going on.

To help us with that, would you be able to create an Origin Error Report and post the Report ID in this thread? Here's how you can generate that:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/how-to-use-origin-error-reporting/

Note: the article also explains how to generate a report if you can't login to Origin.

Message 4 of 14 (1,023 Views)

★ Guide
@Straatford87 Report ID 1078cd6ec0053395 .
I managed to update Origin, but I had to delete other files from the Windows drive, which needed to be on that drive. This is TERRIBLE client. You can't even fix your offline mode, so I couldn't even launch my games in offline mode. I just see an empty box when trying to launch offline mode. Very disappointed.
Message 5 of 14 (1,005 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@KrudeGaming 

Thank you. I'll have our team check what's going on. And once again, sorry for the issues you're experiencing.

I do want to double-check if Origin is moving any of your files again?

Message 6 of 14 (995 Views)

★ Guide
@Straatford87 I checked my Windows drive and all those files have since been deleted, but the issue was that it still happened, I saw Battlefield 1 at the time, which takes 80GB. The issue is that I couldn't update my windows just because of no space, it was stuck updating, and couldn't do the update unless I deleted/moved the files, which I didn't have to do. Having windows drive at 100% usage slowed down whole PC for a really slow experience, I had to restart my pc to do anything.
Message 7 of 14 (963 Views)

EA DICE Team

@KrudeGaming @CyanideHou 

Thank you. We're still looking into what happened here.

As an additional question for our investigation - are you able to share a full list of:

• Which games you had installed?
  • Which games were moved to another HDD (without action from yourself)
  • Games or data that has been deleted (without action from yourself)
Message 8 of 14 (955 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@Straatford87Why do you waste my time and ask questions in different replies than 1 reply? I provided enough information that anyone with reading comprehension can understand what the issue is.

Message 9 of 14 (944 Views)

EA DICE Team

@KrudeGaming 

I apologize and agree that it isn't ideal. I'm getting back to you as new questions are raised via our investigation.

Message 10 of 14 (932 Views)