Slow Origin Download Speed While Playing Games

by JeffersonSwift

Original Post

Re: Slow Origin Download Speed While Playing Games

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Mantakno,

I'm not looking to discredit your own experience and knowledge here, but speaking as a network engineer and software developer of over 15 years, I have to say that the problem truly is with the Origin client.

If it makes any difference, I have both reverse engineered and written firmware for various network devices and have built an enterprise network from scratch, worked on several more. I'm saying this because I believe my experience in the field allows me a good-enough understanding that I can say with some level of confidence that I'm not missing anything basic. Perhaps I am even one of the magic 1,000,000, in which case I am eagerly awaiting my international recognition and award. Did you get yours yet? Is it a gold medal? I hope it's going to be a gold medal.

For now I guess I will have to try to argue based on cold, hard facts. The first thing that tells me it's not a hardware or bandwidth limitation is that the cap is exactly 20 Mbps (2.5 MB/s.) It's not a moving target depending on free system or network resources as you would expect it to be otherwise. The final nail in the coffin of the hardware & bandwidth argument however is the fact that running an equally demanding Steam game from the same drive allows Origin to happily download at full speed. Same resource usage, no limit. Case unbaffled.

P.S. A "slave" drive is no slower than a "master" drive. In fact, that's not even a thing anymore (at least not on a gaming PC.) Master and slave drives are an ancient concept from when I was young and IDE ribbons ran wild and free; you cannot configure a SATA drive as a master or slave.

Message 21 of 41 (2,617 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

try look up windows download limitation, then you will see it, or stop playing a game then it will increase it,

and i dont care how much skill people have or read about it, all this sure tell one thing windows will not accept it, or can handle it

i have seen 100gb line's download to old win7 and hes pc was frozen it was so busy that system cant handle it, and the person dont even game while up/download happends

as i tried to explan sure origin could have done better with multi serving , but that is not what EA has chosen,

and if you are network techcian then you do know how routers congesstion work , only one of them need to send a icmp msg ( i cant keep up or your pc as reciveing end then download speed will drop )

ask any ISP they know traffic controll alot better then most people, and they all say same thing windows cant handle 100mb, ( this can change if disk actual can handle it in a raid system

ask any domain controll service technician, but most normal people dont have such gear. )

as i try to say, the longer jump point people have and vpn ( to know traffic pattern require skilled network enginer ) and they dont waste time on games at all, most ccie ,ccnp,ccna dont play games ) and again we are back at windows is a issue and network , server from EA ( depend on how many in primetime access it = reduce speed )

and dont forget that R&D tip , but then all do this , then it wont matter anyway ( so yeah EA service is also part of this, but i think i recall EA darko did a test and he could get way more DL speed then others , but he also is nearest source , i bet ( lesser jump point )

i dont work for EA , but sure will it be nice if EA server change it server for multi source ( matrix download ) so people can get way past 20mb instead of this lower rate most people dont understand. i have no idea why. atm new isp i have 150mb flatrate. no server can actual give me ½ of it. and now i run into windows own limitation, i doubt i will ever recive past 100mb from one source but from multi source sure i can.

Message 22 of 41 (2,598 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Mantakno,

Does this mean I am not eligible for a gold medal? I am disappointed, but will accept clear defeat by one with greater knowledge and access to such well-sourced statistics.

As a non-awarded muggle, I must unfortunately still insist that this is an issue with the Origin client. In fact, out of curiosity I decided to take a closer look at the issue after my previous post and discovered that the client does indeed limit download speeds of games as they are being downloaded, but selectively.

Any game which allows you to play the game partially downloaded ("progressive install games")--whether fully downloaded or not--will throttle the download speed of any other game currently being downloaded. Games which don't support this feature also do not throttle the download.

I accept that my measly claims mean little to people of your stature, but perhaps I have stumbled upon something by foolishly fumbling about in the dark? Even a fool can stumble upon gold, as my grandfather used to say. I would appreciate verification from someone more capable than me, of course.

As for drives being limited; according to my own personal tests as well as based on tests done by AnandTech[1] modern SSD drives are more than capable of 100 Mb/s sequential write speeds, surpassing even 1 Gb/s in most cases. The higher end drives even clock in at well over 1 GB/s.

Again, I hope my inability to silence will not disqualify me from applying for future awards and I hope the committee will forgive me for speaking out of turn.

[1] https://www.anandtech.com/show/13512/the-crucial-p1-1tb-ssd-review/7

Message 23 of 41 (2,588 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@MsChievouz last i dl someth9ing from ea, as as i recall 8-10mb , so yeah dont think i have seen it over 20, that was also previous isp with lesser speed ofc. but as you see that was way past 2,5mb as many have issue with, and they all say samething steam is faster. but again many forget playing same time will reduce dl speed, this has been lost in this thread also, not our fault, and its this i also why i join and try give feedback on, most hardcore gamers do have point in what they are saying, but its alos here many forget, there is a diffrent in how things should work and know way more in other tech issue even you most have seen this before, gamers do make mistakes and think they know better, if you remove my skill as it-tech then i will have join the debat and blame all on origin, and thats i still think even with the skill you have welcome to the club and try help others. we are few and not always right in everything but maybe we can point in right directions. and maybe even help EA or that gamer that ask for help.

i think i once did see a statistic on this IT-tech people that actual play games and help other is under 500,000 in the world, and people on this fourm that is under 1000 and that dont mean they read forum,because they dont have a issue, or help others or have time for it.

if i could i will give you gold medal, but i cant. not my post
Message 24 of 41 (2,578 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Just chiming in to confirm I'm still observing the same issue in November 2019. Download hits the maximum of my connection when not in an Origin game, as I would expect. However, when I launch an Origin game the download is arbitrarily throttled to 2.5MB/s. A fix for this 2 year old bug sure would be nice. Kind of defeats the purpose of the "Maximum download rate during gameplay" download restriction option when Origin just limits it anyway.

Message 25 of 41 (2,483 Views)

★ Novice
Same problem here. Changing the setting under preference does nothing, the client lowers to dl speed to 2.5MB/s either way.
Message 26 of 41 (2,380 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

MsChlevouz

I desperately wanted to say this as well. I have all the certifications you could possibly get in both crt and networking, along with some cyber security classes. I must not be knowledgeable enough to build a time machine to travel circa 2005 as mantako. Im not even really sure why anyone would argue this isn't a origin issue. Its so obvious that it is, non computer savvy people are aware. Is it a new thing where people who haven't taken a class since XP try to convince us of ridiculousness? I digress, it MUST be that we all have crap computers, still rock decades old tech, and don't fall into this magical number of mystical time traveling technicians. 

Message 27 of 41 (2,355 Views)

★★ Novice

Is there a fix for this already?

Im downloading Battlefield V normally at 7,5 mb/sec, and when i startup battlefield 1 it drops automaticly down to 2,55 mb/sec. 

But when i startup  a steam game such as counter-strike or something else, the download speed stays still at 7,5 mb/sec, seems to me this is intentional

Message 28 of 41 (2,002 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Mantakno I'm sorry about the necro but all of your comments don't make sense. Most of it is just wrong. This is still an issue and it's terrible. There is a hard cap throttle on the download speed while in game to 20Mbps. I am on 10Gbps internet and it doesn't make sense for a game download to go down from 300-400 MB/s to 2.5MB/s because I'm tabbed out of a sim city game from 2013. The game isn't even installed on the same drive or using the drive at all while I play.
Message 29 of 41 (1,938 Views)

★★ Novice

April 2020 still an issue.

Message 30 of 41 (1,835 Views)