Slow Origin Download Speed While Playing Games

by JeffersonSwift

Original Post

Re: Slow Origin Download Speed While Playing Games

★★ Novice

Add another one to the list. Why even have a damn option for unlimited download while playing IF IT DOESN'T DO ANYTHING...

Message 11 of 41 (3,185 Views)

★★ Novice

Yeah, same for me, while out of game I download with 320 mbit speed (40MB/s), but while I`m in-game then download speed is capped to 2.5 MB/s even tho I have unlocked download speed in options.

Message 12 of 41 (3,168 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

sounds like operating system cant handle incoming traffic while playing a game.

this is simple to explan or hard to understand depend on tech level.

can harddisk write its data while it recive it, or is system to busy with a game sametime while it recive data from external source, and many people forget antivirus scanning same time anoter task for the pc while it play game and recive data. ( windows sizing, this is the problem then system cant keep up it decrease and adjust incomming data to what it can handle.)

and dont forget evey router jump point ( internet cloud ) also adjust its traffic , so this is not that simple and yet it is. ( depend on techical level you guys have )

and same time do you use other online traffic sametime + other in da household use network ( app like skype and other app that use network sametime can also slow things down )

ps.

network technician do test lines to own ISP that this is what you have paid for and it work. ( what happend on your pc and internet cloud is out of ISP )

i know EA has a test app from a game so they can test gamers connections issue. ( rest is at your home issue from the wall connections. ( cable and network drivers and bottle necks like router/switch and pc. ( it do sounds like a windows operating system issue, but fiddle with this can frozen pc ( huge lag as gamers call it ) also known as flooding traffic on inc. interface

ps.

this is simple to test, 2 pc. ( 1 recive data, try play game on other. if this work then game pc cant handle both task sametime. )

ps.

another test change settings with R&D production google this. ( it seem to work for some people. )

Message 13 of 41 (3,161 Views)

★★ Novice

That doesn't make any sense because its not hapening with other platforms like steam. Also modern harddisks can handle more than that.

Message 14 of 41 (3,125 Views)

★ Novice

This was the single most incoherent and just plain wrong thing I've read today. Judging by this you have no idea how disk read/write happens and your knowledge of networks is low.

Message 15 of 41 (3,066 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

and i doubt you understand then pc is playing a game , and what windows can handle with no LAG you all think you have worlds fastest pc, but you dont. that is windows that adjust reciving incomeing traffic so it can maintain a flow pc can handle.

only way to test full speed is being idle and download stuff.

ps.

and if you dont have technical skill on how things work , then stop comment on thing just because you play games. ( you have no clue at all if you have not read a book about it.

let me put it this way for you. there is under 1.000.000 people on this earth that understand network and computer same time ) and most of them dont even game at all and dont care about it.. then thaty is said there is alot of gamers that is hardcore players. but to few to actual solve complex issue then things goes wrong.

as i said you only read something and took what you think you did understand. its windows that block its reciving buffers and cant handle anymore then game sametime try runs at 100% with no lag.  ( simple test this quit game and speed will increase its buff again over time ( this is normal IT technical educations that know this )

ps.

harddisk is the slowest media on our pc today. ( SSD RAID it dont matter, if ISP line is big Enough and harddisk is multi tasking then it cant keep up. )

most gamers dont have raid ( only high-end gamers that want top ace pc might have it and can afford it, most gamers just have SSD and a slave disk to games. and they are slow as hell ) compare to what i  have seen in speed.

Message 16 of 41 (3,064 Views)

★★★ Novice

Mantakno, you are wrong and Origin is the issue. I am trying to download a game on my ssd while playing another game (installed on my Raid 0 hdds) and I am only getting 2.5mbps. Plenty of CPU, hdd etc left. And I have 1gigabit internet. 

Let'as just all admit that Origin is a peace of * and they should completely stop using it. I will soon stop using it regardless as all EA games turned to the same pile of * as Origin.

Message 17 of 41 (2,954 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@JeffersonSwift This is defdinately a coded thing. Dosent happen with non Origin game. Any one know what to fiddle with?
Message 18 of 41 (2,690 Views)

★★ Novice

@javlarmater wrote:

I'll just add that this is still the situation in late 2018. When not playing an Origin game I download at around 60mb/s, when I start a game it goes to 2.5mb/s. I don't understand why there is an option in the Origin settings called "Maximum download rate during gameplay" which you can set to unlimited, 50mb/s etc etc. Why even have that option if it will just be throttled to 2.5mb/s anyway.

Still a problem now in late 2019

Message 19 of 41 (2,615 Views)

★ Novice

Yep, still a thing.. Was downloading the BF V trail while playing BF 1, tabbed out after a game of conquest and noticed my DL rate was at 2.5mb/s. Checked the options for DL speed while in game, unlimited. Hmm? Googled and here I am.

This shouldn't be a problem but HEY, it's a Origin™ thing. Origin™ have the wierdest bugs and problems lol.

Message 20 of 41 (2,560 Views)