Re: Sims4 - not so automatic updates

by SarrissUK

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims4 - not so automatic updates

★★ Novice

I don't have time to play very often, but really enjoy it when I do. Almost every time I log on though, there's an update that I have to sit and wait for. Is there really no way you could implement a truly automatic update system, where I authorise you to update Sims 4 automatically when the laptop is on, so that it doesn't have to happen when I have an hour free to play, and then frustratingly have to sit and wait for half an hour for an update to download, install and finalise (forever!!)?

I have ticked the box for Automatically update Origin, which I assume is for the Origin client only. Why not have one for the game too?

Message 1 of 5 (929 Views)

Accepted Solution

@SarrissUK  There is in fact a setting to automatically update your games, and you don't have to open Sims 4 to start the update (manual or automatic).  You do however need to have Origin open, or it won't connect to EA servers to find or download the patch.  Again, you can set up automatic updates, and then all you'd need to do would be to sign into Origin and let it handle the patching on its own.  Here's the setting:

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 10.10.16 PM.png

Hover over your username and click Application Settings (in red), then scroll to Client Update and turn on automatic game updates (blue).

The only way to get auto updates without signing into Origin would be to have Origin running in the background without your choosing to open it, which is what I thought seemed invasive.  But if you prefer, you can set Origin to open at boot (also in the above screenshot) and tell it to keep you signed in.  (This option is on the same screen where you input your username and password.)  Then it's possible that Origin would handle patching for you automatically, without your having to do anything on your own.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (873 Views)

All Replies

@SarrissUK  There is in fact a separate option to automatically update your games.  It's immediately above the option to keep Origin up to date, under Application Settings > Application (scroll down to Client update).  As for patch frequency, there's generally one new one each month, and only a second one if the first patch breaks something serious.

Of course, Origin won't update your game if it's not running.  But there's no reason you can't open Origin and then start the update (automatically or not) while browsing the web or checking email.  That way, when you do have time to play, the update will already have run.  You could also tell Origin to open automatically when you turn on your computer, but that seems kind of invasive to me.

Message 2 of 5 (905 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thank you for your response. I appreciate your time.

So.. the answer to my question if there can't be a tickbox where I authorise Origin to update Sims4 without direct approval or to have the game open is in fact not an option that is available.
My suggestion to EA is that it should be, in my opinion. If it's an opt-in option, it's not invasive at all. It would only be invasive if it was set as default, right?
So EA, I think this is definitely a viable option, so that we can CHOOSE to opt in to silent upgrades of the games we have through Origin if we want them Standard smile
Message 3 of 5 (887 Views)

@SarrissUK  There is in fact a setting to automatically update your games, and you don't have to open Sims 4 to start the update (manual or automatic).  You do however need to have Origin open, or it won't connect to EA servers to find or download the patch.  Again, you can set up automatic updates, and then all you'd need to do would be to sign into Origin and let it handle the patching on its own.  Here's the setting:

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 10.10.16 PM.png

Hover over your username and click Application Settings (in red), then scroll to Client Update and turn on automatic game updates (blue).

The only way to get auto updates without signing into Origin would be to have Origin running in the background without your choosing to open it, which is what I thought seemed invasive.  But if you prefer, you can set Origin to open at boot (also in the above screenshot) and tell it to keep you signed in.  (This option is on the same screen where you input your username and password.)  Then it's possible that Origin would handle patching for you automatically, without your having to do anything on your own.

Message 4 of 5 (874 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict Thank you! I just seen your post, and went to check. I do have those options ticked already, but I have made sure that Origin opens as I boot my laptop, to make sure it's open to download the updates as they happen. I think that is where it all fell down.
Thank you kindly! Standard smile
Message 5 of 5 (851 Views)