Re: I would like to install my Origin games on Drive D: NOT on Drive C: . . .

by EA_Kristi

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Selecting a new game library location

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I would like to install my Origin games on Drive D: NOT on Drive C: but I do not see a way to allow that to happen. Is it possible to do this and if so, how would I go about it? (Drive C: is a smaller faster systems drive and has very little extra room on it.)

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

Message 1 of 14 (49,678 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
EA Staff

You can change the location where you download/install the games:

• Select Application Settings
  • Installs & Saves
  • Game library location - Change folder
  • Select a new folder to install your games.
    • Right-click an empty space and select New > Folder to create a location

View in thread

Message 4 of 14 (55,223 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Novice

I forgot to add -- I know how to do it for hard copy games but not for digital downloaded game.

Message 2 of 14 (49,640 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have contacted customer service about this problem and was told that it is not possible to install any Origin game on a different drive than the C: drive. However, I know this is not the case because I have gotten hard copy games from Origin before and I have been able to change their default drive to the D: drive. So now I am not sure that if I upgrade to a hard copy I can install it on a drive other than C: drive or not. Does anyone know if the Sims 4 hard copy will install on a different drive than the C: drive?

This is extremely frustrating as I have never bought a game from another major software company before that will ONLY install on the C: drive -- but the customer service rep I talked to told me that ALL game (no matter the company) MUST be installed on the C: drive. I know for a fact this is untrue which makes me question the veracity of the person I talked with. So, does anyone out there know if the hard copy of the Sims 4 will install on a different drive?

Message 3 of 14 (49,618 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA Staff

You can change the location where you download/install the games:

• Select Application Settings
  • Installs & Saves
  • Game library location - Change folder
  • Select a new folder to install your games.
    • Right-click an empty space and select New > Folder to create a location

Message 4 of 14 (55,224 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOO much for your help!!! Standard smile

Message 5 of 14 (49,608 Views)

★ Novice

OMG BUT IT WON"T WORKKK!!!!!!

I tried that is still won't work

Message 6 of 14 (49,577 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for this easy help. This is the first time that a forum search engine has properly found the posts relevant to my query. Awesome!

I was pretty sure that more than a few people are like me, with an SSD for the C: drive and a HDD for D: and installing the game files on D: because it's much larger. 

Message 7 of 14 (49,552 Views)

★★ Novice

Oops. Okay, I found where to change the drive location, but do I have to make a folder for the files? I'm sorry, but I have no idea how to do this. 

Message 8 of 14 (49,551 Views)

EA Staff

@trog69 

You could just set up an empty folder on your D drive called 'Games' and leave it empty. Then it should work as the new directory.

Message 9 of 14 (49,544 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you. I'll try that. I have yet to play DA:O because when I tried, it was during the "dark times" when the DLCs were from some other universe, and trying to enable them caused much carnage and merciless plundering of my HDD. I had issues with the first ME game, when I tried running it on the first iterations of Vista, and I haven't had the time to play it since Fallout 3/NV/Skyrim became my most potent addictions. I started re-playing NeverwinterNights and remembered that I had DA:O the Ultimate edition, and all three ME games waiting patiently. It's about time I find out what all the hullabaloo was about. hehe. 

Message 10 of 14 (49,533 Views)