Re: Repairing game takes forever and slows down the pc

by EA_Illium

Original Post

Repairing game takes forever and slows down the pc

★ Guide

After some issues I tried to repair the game through Origin but I had some difficulties in doing so.

It took an hour to fully repair the game with the download extremely slow. Even the pc slowed down in everything and almost froze. I have all the packs installed but before eco living it was pretty quick, or at least I remember so. I also cleaned the Origin cache but it didn't help very much. 
I'll post the dxdiag file. If someone could help me with this issue I'll be very grateful since I really don't know what else I can do.  

Message 1 of 37 (6,017 Views)

Community Manager
@Alexmeteor Do you have any CC in your sims folders?

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 2 of 37 (5,993 Views)

★ Guide

No, I don't use CC or Mods. 

Message 3 of 37 (5,990 Views)

★★★★ Pro

I too have been having this problem. 

The first time I noticed it was after the October 6 game update (since I like to repair after every update) and it took hours (6 or more, I ended up going to bed and it was done in the morning). 

I've been avoiding doing any repairs since then, but decided to try again last week and it did the same thing where it used up in the high 90s of my CPU, and I ended up removing most of the packs from the queue (as opposed to cancelling the repair).  I've since uninstalled and reinstalled Origin, I've cleared my Origin cache, I have no mods or cc (I temporarily added the Freelancer Mod fix but that was after the Oct 6 game update and it had been removed before I tried the most recent set of repairs).  I just tried it again after installing some critical updates in Windows and had the same thing happen (and once again cleared most of the packs from the queue). 

The base game plus first few packs seem to go fine, but it starts to slow down around/after pack 5 or so.  That coincides when the CPU usage starts to get to 100%.  Also, even after I clear the queue and it finishes the repair the CPU usage remains high and the only way to get it to go down is to exit Origin.  It goes back to a reasonable level after you exit and start it again (though I had to disable most of the application options to get it to minimal usage while idle). 

Here's a screenshot of Origin and the task manager when it's repairing:

Screenshot of the task manager once the repair has completed (after I removed most packs from the queue); as I commented, I had to close Origin to get that CPU usage to go down (I left it open for a few minutes to see if it would go down on it's own):

I attach my dxdiag as an FYI.

Best regards,

Jennifer

Message 4 of 37 (5,967 Views)

★ Guide
@MapleSimmer Yes! This is precisely what happened to me! I couldn't explain it better! I hope there is something that can be done to fix this.
Message 5 of 37 (5,929 Views)

Community Manager
@Alexmeteor To check are you running any other programs while running the repair? Do you have any Anti-virus or firewall running either?

Illium.png

Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Message 6 of 37 (5,902 Views)

★ Guide
@EA_Illium Yes, only Firewall and Antivirus, but until now they didn't interfere at all with the repairing process. As I said, in the past repairing the game was really quick and didn't give me a single problem.
Message 7 of 37 (5,899 Views)

★★ Novice
Yes, me too! Took all day downloading on my laptop, and did not fix the problems i was having.

Reinstalled and it downloaded in about 2 hours
Message 8 of 37 (5,857 Views)

★★ Novice

It is a new laptop, i have it one month. 

No cc

Played the one day, problems with errors the next. Repair failed so bad, i had to wipe the laptop. A NEW one! 

Message 9 of 37 (5,856 Views)

★★ Novice

I've been having this same problem for months now and it makes it impossible to play anything through Origin. I recently went through Task Manager to manually throttle Origin.

If you open Task Manager, go to Details, and right click Origin (it has to be running), select Set Affinity and then drop the number of CPU cores it's allowed to use. I dropped it to 2 and Origin's been hovering at around 30% usage. Updates/repairs are taking a bit longer, but it's not rendering my computer completely inoperable. Origin is still bogged down, unfortunately. I really hope they get this fixed. :/

Message 10 of 37 (5,837 Views)