Re: CPU running 100% while trying to repair Sims 4

by PilotGW

Original Post

Re: Repairing game takes forever and slows down the pc

★★★★★ Novice

Been having this same exact issue. The repair would only take minutes but since the fall update been having this issue and really dread having to do a repair. 

Message 31 of 37 (658 Views)

Re: Repairing game takes forever and slows down the pc

★★★★ Novice
@SinisterSweets It fixes it, ty !
Message 32 of 37 (611 Views)

CPU running 100% while trying to repair Sims 4

★★ Apprentice

I was having an issue getting my game to load so decided to do a repair. Imagine my surprise when Origin started running at 98%-100% CPU and crashing my computer. I've never had this issue before. I have an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 6 core processor and 32 GB RAM. The memory was fine. My CPU was not. I can't even play Sims 4 now because I can't repair it. I've never had this issue before. I have already disabled Origin Web Helper, the diagnostics sharing, and Origin In-Game. I've also cleared the origin cache and uninstalled/reinstalled. None of the above have worked to fix the issue.

Message 33 of 37 (617 Views)

★★★★ Expert

@MaddArchivist  I'm sure there are other tips, and I do hope for an official explanation for this, but what worked for me was to shut down my computer protection during repair, and of course, only repair when the computer has just been turned on, and no other programs are running.

Message 34 of 37 (600 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

Since Origin's last update the set affinity workaround isn't helping like it was. I can repair my Sims 4 game as long as I don't try to repair very many packs, but trying to have Origin open for extended periods of time playing Sims 4 is awful. It feels like there's some kind of bottleneck going on workaround or no workaround.

Playing Sims 4 through the EA Desktop app works perfectly though as long as my internet connection doesn't drop off for any reason, since there's no offline mode. Fortunately that doesn't happen very often.

The fact that the EA Desktop app doesn't have this problem tells me this is definitely an Origin issue and it needs to be fixed.

Message 35 of 37 (535 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Last time I repaired my game 2nd of June I also had Origin using >95% of my CPU and it took more than 1 hour to complete and my PC was unable to run any other programs while the repair was going. It was the first time I had experienced it and I was sure there must be some kind of solution for it online or at least acknowledgement from the developers but no, nothing. It boggles my mind. EA staff, why aren't you responding to this issue?

Adding a screenshot showing task manager and Open Hardware Monitor as proof of the CPU usage as attachment. 

Message 36 of 37 (501 Views)

★ Guide

I don't know exactly when this problem started, but I've recently upgraded my CPU to a 10700K (8 core, 16 thread for reference).

Obviously I've been reinstalling / locating / repairing games quite a bit recently, but Origin is making this an utter headache.

Every single item that gets added to the download queue accumulates a further ~8-10% CPU usage. Once it reaches 100% everything obviously grinds to a halt and I have to force quit Origin.

The more alarming thing in my case, is that if I complete a download, that CPU usage is NEVER released. It will stay at whatever it was at, unless I quit force Origin. I tried the EA Desktop app and that seems to be fine, so it's a problem with Origin.

I opened my own thread about this but received no reply. EA's silence on this issue is becoming incredibly frustrating.

Message 37 of 37 (488 Views)