Problems with stats in player cards

by SchulzEricT

Original Post

Problems with stats in player cards

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

I don't know where I need to go to beg for fixes for the next update (and into new editions of the game)... I'll put it here, I guess, and transfer it somewhere else if y'all tell me that I should be doing it elsewhere. It's about the NHL series.

I don't understand how you organize the stats on player cards. It used to be in descending order but is now in ascending, so that the most recent season is at the top rather than bottom. I get why... I have no feelings on that, other than that I'm glad the stat page now shows the player's entire career rather than just the last 4 seasons like it did back in NHL 13, 14, 15, 16, etc. (I'm not sure when that was fixed exactly, because I largely stopped buying new games each year back in 13, largely because I was 10 seasons deep in my Be A GM mode and didn't want to lose it - y'all are losing money by not allowing us to import saved games into new editions.) But I do know that the organization makes no sense. It seems mostly in alphabetical order, so a player will play for TOR, TOR, TOR, TOR, then VAN, then back to TOR, then back to VAN, because moving mid-season doesn't result in the proper organization of stats; it reverts to alphabetical.
EXCEPT... I've got a player who played in the OHL and NHL in the same season, so his statline now looks like: OHL, OHL, NHL, OHL, NHL, NHL.... instead of just sorting chronologically. I think it ought to have the lower leagues ranked lower when a player's played in more than one league during a season. That seems obvious, and seems like it should be a really easy fix. (Although I'm not sure how easy it would be to fix the improper organization of each individual player's card when it comes to multiple teams in the same season; I'd hope it could at least be fixed so that it properly sorts things out moving forward, even if it can't fix problems retroactively since it probably doesn't store the data on when in the season a player played for what team.)

Similarly - in that it's a player card problem - some stats are wrong. Puljujarvi had an assist and GWG stolen from him for no discernible reason; there's a big problem with GWGs not being recorded properly. My solution to that is easy: allow us to edit player cards, stats on player cards. Sure, we could then "cheat"... but who cares? It's a video game.
Personally, I have a player - a character I created to reflect a Be A Pro I played back in NHL 12 - that I put into the draft for Be A GM, whose stats in the OHL are underwhelming. I'd like to change them to what I actually got, including playoffs, with him in NHL 12. I don't understand why I'm not allowed to do that. It makes no difference to the game, it wouldn't be "cheating" in any meaningful way - and even if it was, so what? I'm playing by myself, who cares if I cheat? - it would just enhance my appreciation for that character because it would then essentially be the guy I played 2 full CHL seasons with back in NHL 12, rather than just some dude who had a, frankly, underwhelming CHL season and then went 1st overall anyway.

Please, if nothing else, allow us to edit stats on player cards. And fix the organization problem moving forward so that it's not such an eyesore. They're not really functionally important to playing the game, but they've got to be so easy to fix, and for such a small thing, it really ruins immersion and its impact on my enjoyment of the game is outsized compared to its importance.

Also, I get - I guess? - why we aren't allowed to edit prospects in the draft either before or after they are drafted, but man I'd like to be able to edit them and change names, at least, if not also height/weight, appearance, player style. At the very least we should be allowed to edit hair - not just facial hair - and position.

Ratings and potential... I guess I get why we can't edit that - although, again, it's a video game, who cares if it's "cheating" so long as we enjoy it - but some of the names, man... Greg Liston is not the type of name I'd expect from a Pole. Or a guy from Switzerland being named Nathaniel Chelios? If you can't fix names, at least allow us the ability to edit them. I'd like to be able to edit height/weight, appearance, name, nationality, and position so that I could re-create guys I've drafted, developed, and played with from previous games - Toni and Mikko Korhonen, Leonard Moe, Steffen Goc, Stephane Giguere, among others - without being forced to re-create them in the first few years of the draft and then having them be overdrafted. But at the very least, it'd be really cool to be able to change names to something we like better.

Again, like the previous point, it's not terribly important functionally, but it really materially effects my enjoyment of the game; I hate having players on my team with a name that feels wrong (whether the reason is valid or invalid), or has the wrong position (like a right-handed defender being listed as a LD first, or a goalie with a 2ndary position... of goalie).

Message 1 of 1 (264 Views)