Re: Please FIX My GEO DEMOGRAPHICS! I DO NOT LIVE IN EUROPE!

by EA_Lanna

Original Post

Please FIX My GEO DEMOGRAPHICS! I DO NOT LIVE IN EUROPE!

★★★★★ Novice

Can someone in 2020 please tell me why EA/Maxis or whomever is responsible has not gotten this GEO Demographic corrected? I would like the convenience of purchasing m games through Origin, however my Origin changed a few years back from the US to Ireland somehow. I DO NOT LIVE IN EUROPE!  I live between the U.S. and the Bahamas! I really need this fixed! If you check your records, i have been complaining about this for years!  You lose money from me and others like me who purchase their games from external sites/ Im not paying pounds, sterlings, nor Euros for a game when i don't live in those countries! And that's not equivalent to my dollar value! Please FIX It! 

Message 1 of 9 (786 Views)

Community Manager

Hi @mizundaconstrucn,

Thanks for sharing your feedback on this.

In the meantime, there's is an option in Origin to update your Regional settings if you find it's showing a different region to where you are. It's not a fix to the regional settings updating on you but it will mean you can correct the regional settings if it's a barrier for you when you try to get games you'd like to play. 

Here are the steps: 

1. Log into Origin
  2. Select the arrow by your profile avatar and select 'EA Account and Billing' from the drop down menu
  3. In your 'My Account' section, in the 'About Me' tab, scroll down to the heading 'Regional Settings' and select 'Edit'
  4. From there, you can select your Region and Language and lock in the changes by clicking  'Save'
    (Please find a visual guide in the spoiler tag. Click to expand)
    Spoiler
    Origin. locate account and billing page.jpg

Edit Rgional Settings.jpg

dit regiional settings.PNG

- EA_Lanna

Lanna.png____________________________________________________________

*Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
*Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
*XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Please only DM me if I've asked you to, or in the case of highly sensitive content. General questions/issues/topics are best shared on the forum where others can take part/benefit from the responses/solutions/workarounds

Message 2 of 9 (748 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Hi Lana,

Thats not the issue. My region in my account has not changed, it is still set to the  United States, however my origin is not syncing with that apparently because its still showing me euros and i can't connect to the US Origin store anymore. When i try to purchase from origin it gives me my costs in euros. i have some pegi something i sent a picture. I would really like to have this resolved. 

Message 3 of 9 (732 Views)

★ Guide
Do you use some kind of vpn to change your ip address?
It's possible that the origin is detecting an ip address of europe.
Message 4 of 9 (723 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@mizundaconstrucn That picture is weird. If it really was European Origin, then there should be Store Preferences button above the (c) Electronics Arts writing, which switch Origin to any EU (and some non-EU) country. I believe that's EU requirements, that may do something with taxes, but I am not sure. The thing is, however, that if you don't have that button, Origin detects you in an area that pays in Euro (in Origin, real currency for that area may be different), but is not in EU. And I think, for Origin, Bahamas may be such area, since it's independent part of UK. Just a speculation, but somehow, this makes sense to me.
Message 5 of 9 (714 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@DepaX3 I do not use any software or anything related to an IP address changing software. It’s like I said in my Initial post, because I travel between two places my IP will change. 

Message 6 of 9 (712 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@peno11 My store is in Euros, if you look to the top of the picture you can see that’s it’s 39.99 pounds/Euros it’s been that way since I left college in 2013. I’ve had this issue for years it’s just really annoying. I went to college in London and when I returned to the U.S. I reported this error to EA they never resolved it. I’ve since left the U.S. and reside between there and the Bahamas currently residing in the Bahamas. This is so annoying. I have to make all my purchases outside of origin now! 

Message 7 of 9 (708 Views)

Community Manager
Hi @mizundaconstrucn,

Thanks for clarifying. I've looked into this to understand more why you're being defaulted to the IE store from the Bahamas.

Origin will automatically be redirect you to the store for your region. However if your region doesn't have its own dedicated store page then your currency will be defaulted to Euro. In this case, the Bahamas don't have it's own dedicated store page and your store page is being automatically defaulted to the closest euro store as a result.

Unfortunately, there's no option I can recommend that will help you change where it's being defaulted too or to change the currency you're getting. We don't have any tools that will allow us to make that change on your behalf either I'm afraid.

I know this isn't what you were hoping to hear. Please know that I've gone ahead and passed on your feedback on this.

EA_Lanna
Lanna.png____________________________________________________________

*Accept as Solution button- If a post answers your question please let us and other players know by hitting this button.
*Me Too button - 'Me Too' helps us track how many players are also experiencing that issue. Definitely make use of this button.
*XP button - Say Kudos and help players 'Level Up' by giving them XP for helpful posts.

Please only DM me if I've asked you to, or in the case of highly sensitive content. General questions/issues/topics are best shared on the forum where others can take part/benefit from the responses/solutions/workarounds

Message 8 of 9 (695 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@EA_Lanna Thank you for your response. That is ridiculous that in a modernized technical world, your team does not have the tools to make necessary coding changes! 

Whiles this is NOT acceptable, I understand that it is what it is. Geographically it also doesn’t make sense! This country’s currency is equivalent to the U.S. dollar and uses U.S. currency as well. Euros have no dollar value here except to exchange at a bank! 

Message 9 of 9 (683 Views)