Re: Origins keeps resetting password after DAI failed to download

by 4rkange1

Original Post

Origins keeps resetting password after DAI failed to download

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

EA keeps forcefully resetting my password against my wishes, claiming to have found "suspicious activity".

The password resets actually started after I tried to install DAI through Origin and it failed to download any of the dlc. I had to uninstall and reinstall DAI several times until it finally succeeded in installing my dlc as it was the only way I could coax Origin into actually giving me access the products I have paid money for.

(I should also mention that when downloading DAI Origin doesn't assign or even download the correct icon but rather gives the game what looks like a green pause button for icon, both in the source folder and for the desktop shortcut. This is true for all games I have through Origin.)

At first i though this "suspicious activity" may have been connected to me launching a game from my home computer through Frosty since it was whilst playing DAI I had my first reset.

But no, I've been launching MEA and DAI through Frosty with no problem before.

And just now my password was suddenly reset whilst I was writing a word document, no game running.

Why can't EA just send a warning alerting its users of this "suspicious activity" (and preferably tell us what this "suspicious activity" is rather than giving us no information) and advising us to change our password if we want to be safe? Especially since the email explicitly states they have no reason to suspect this "suspicious activity" is a security breach.

And before anyone tells me I "may want to review the Terms of Service that you have agreed to with regards to the modification of game files etc." let me tell you what I have found;

"You may not access, copy, modify or distribute any EA Service, Content or Entitlements (as those terms are defined below), unless expressly authorized by EA or permitted by law."

By my understanding a person is permitted by law to modify a game provided they don't do any of the following;

- Distribute a mod that infringes on another games copyright protections.

- Distribute a mod that unlocks features hidden behind a paywall, which would be considered cheating.

- Distribute a mod that alter a multiplayer game to the users advantage, which would be considered cheating.

- Distribute a mod with the intent of making money from that mod, which would be copy right infringement.

There are a few more points I have found, but I feel this will do for now.

So, to recap;

- Modding a game to give yourself a unfair advantage is cheating and forbidden.

- Modding a single player campaign with bug-fixes the publisher and developer has neglected to give their paying customers and original textures that don't use any copyrighted material seem to be within the limit of the law, provided no-one makes money of said mods.

If "suspicious activities" is EA's way of saying "we think you're cheating since you're running a third party application", I'm sure myself and the other people facing the same problem would much rather be told this directly so we can take the necessary steps to follow EA's guidelines about cheating.

But let me remind you; I wasn't even running any game during this last reset, I was editing a word document.

Message 1 of 8 (1,198 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It is not frosty that is causing your issue.

I tried to d/l DA:I last week and it failed. Had to restart origin and do it again. (It downloaded DA:I just fine, it was all the DLC that it said failed, even though it actually downloaded it) Since then I have had to reset my password twice. I'm not using any 3rd party software or launchers, just origin.

Message 2 of 8 (1,180 Views)

★★★ Novice

@Freks77, yeah, I figured Frosty has nothing to do with it, seeing as it started after Origin messed up downloading my dlc.(wish I had saved the error message)

I posted a similar thread about the same issue a few days ago, but only got an answer from an ea forums manager asking me if the problem stopped if I stopped using Frosty (which, judging by the fact that my password was reset without actually running any game at all, I can safely answer with a big NO)

They also asked me to review the terms of service agreement, which I did and explained my findings. (same as in this post) They didn't answer me further, so this is me trying again.

I'm glad someone else who's having the same issue but isn't using Frosty is backing up my claim that this is something messed up with Origin.

Message 3 of 8 (1,174 Views)

★ Novice

I'm also experiencing forced resets, about 4 times in the last 30 days. Not sure what "potentially suspicious activity" is, I don't see a way to look up attempted account access. And I have 2FA enabled for additional security.

Message 4 of 8 (1,125 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I've also had this issue, and I'm not even using Frosty or anything for DA:I.

The first time, I wasn't even at home, but my computer was still on and logged in. I thought the email was spam at first because they formatted it weird, but when I realised it was genuine I dutifully changed my password and enabled two-factor authentication. Then yesterday I played DA:I, logged off and received an email about an hour later saying they'd reset my password. Again. A part of me wonders if non-static IP addresses are tricking it into thinking I'm logging in on many different computers. Either that or there's some really dedicated phishy business going on.

I know they say to change your password often, but twice in as many weeks is taking the mick. It would definitely be nice to have a lot more clarity on the cause of the issue.

Edit: To add insult to injury, it just took me eight separate sets of captcha images just to send a password reset email today. And still no response from EA.

Message 5 of 8 (1,026 Views)

★ Novice

I'm having a similar issue since I attempted to install DA:I to a new computer at the end of last month. After a failed installation I got the the game and DLCs up and running but am now receiving a forced reset an average of once a week to ten days or so. No mods at all on my end and the only real difference since the last time I used Origin is to install games on my HDD drive rather than my SSD drive. Having changed my password multiple times and having enabled two factor authentication along with some other tips I've found looking through the forums, I feel safe in saying nothing has made a difference in stopping the emails - which is more than a bit frustrating. Some clarity or more information would definitely be appreciated here.

Message 6 of 8 (985 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Same problem here, though I'm not using any third party programs and my downloads haven't even failed. Origin just keeps resetting my password for no reason (?). First time I was super worried, thought I had legitimately been hacked so I changed my password and my email, then soon after Origin reset my password again. And now they've reset it for the third time. And I always get the reset email at the same time, 5:58AM, and my PC isn't even on at that time. I've talked with the customer support many times but they have never really given me an answer, they just say that my account is secure and that I shouldn't worry, but they never told me a reason, even a possible one, to the password resets. It's relieving to hear that other people have this problem too, I'm a super paranoid person when it comes to things like this so I was really worried about getting hacked but honestly, I've changed passwords and email accounts so many times, so I think it's super unlikely someone could hack them right away... I hope someone can find a solution/reason to this soon, it's stressing me out so bad

(First comment here so sorry if im replying to the wrong place, I got no clue how this site works haha)

edit: I talked with the customer support again, and they said they will look into it, but not really much else. They said that my account seemed completely fine though, no suspicious activity, just like last time. Fingers crossed. 

Message 7 of 8 (923 Views)

★★ Novice

Same problem here, I've reset it about 4 times in the last month. The only thing "not legit" about my DA:I is that I installed some cosmetic mods (e.g. hair), but only a couple. Sometimes it's logged me out in the middle of a play session (no real impact because I refuse to play the multiplayer, thank God), but once it was overnight and today it was just after my play session while I was browsing the internet doing other things. And yes, the email EA sent me was really fishy and poorly formatted every time; only today did I actually click the link and not go through their website proper saying I "forgot my password". That's just sloppy, EA. Please fix--both issues.

Message 8 of 8 (557 Views)