Re: Origins and sims 4 will not launch.

by holger1405

Original Post

★★★ Novice

apparently my graphics card uses a customized driver and it cannot update using any of the intel software. Also according to the windows update tool, my computer is completely up to date and I have no available updates? At this point it's a little more than the sims is worth for me. I might just uninstall it and wait until I can afford a decent pc. I just don't really understand why even origin won't launch and why it suddenly ceased working after working for a few weeks, but computers are fickle and the one thing they can and will do  with unrelenting consistency is fail. thanks for the help guys, but I'm kind of at my ropes end. To update my driver intel is telling me I have to do it manually and I don't like the idea of fiddling with core files on my computer.

Message 21 of 25 (440 Views)

Champion (Retired)

The latest drivers you can find here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49498

For RAM unfortunately it is soldered on so there are no way to upgrade it so you are stuck with the 4GB version you bought (it is available in 8GB and 16GB versions).

So unfortunately you have a computer that was never intended to be able to run 3D games such as the Sims 4.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please only PM me when asked to do so. Questions and answers belong here so everyone can benefit from them.
Message 22 of 25 (388 Views)

@abc495412689

To elaborate a little on this problem.

There is no indication whatsoever that the Game itself has a problem. The DxDiag shows clearly that it is Origin that crashes.

So, the problem is not with the amount of Ram you have, that could be a problem regarding the performance of the game, but it has nothing to do with the problem at hand.

The error that prevents Origin to start is a BEX error, that stands for "Buffer Overflow Exception". This means, in very simple terms, that Origin or a related dll tries to write more data to a certain memory area than possible. (Again, not a limitation in regards to the amount of physical Ram you have, this error would also happen if you would have much more physical Ram installed, it is a matter of memory management)

If that happens, a Windows intern security mechanism (DEP = Data Execution Protection) detects the Buffer overflow and shuts down the program that is "responsible" (there is a reason for the Quotes, more to that later) for the Buffer overflow.

There are several possible reasons for this error, one is that the program is poorly written (a software bug) but (Quotes ^) we know that this is not the case here, because Origin is used by literally millions of people and they all would face this problem if it would be so.

So, the error in your case can have several triggers:

1. Interfering third party software or a virus.
  2. Corruption inside your Windows system files. 
  3. Defective hardware or corrupted drivers.

I can understand that you don't want to install the Intel driver, MS makes the driver update on a Surface book "complicate". (But not without reason, to be fair.)

There are still several troubleshooting steps left, if you are interest. But that is of course your decision.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 23 of 25 (364 Views)

EA app Team

Hi everyone,

Just a heads up that I've just moved this thread to the Origin Technical support board, as the issue seems to be related to Origin, not the game itself.

Keep going with that troubleshooting! Standard smile

Cheers,

-Mai

Message 24 of 25 (339 Views)

@EA_Mai

Thanks!

I was expecting  that Crin would movie it. Wink

But I also should have done it myself. Embarrassed

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 25 of 25 (330 Views)