Does Origin work on the new MacBook Air (macOS 10.15.1)?

by luella2035

Original Post

Re: New Account, help please

★ Novice

Hi, here is what comes up when I try to open the program 

Message 61 of 82 (664 Views)

Re: New Account, help please

@Alex200105  That's the normal result when you try to open the download by double-clicking.  Instead, hold down the control key and click, then select Open from the choices.

Again, please let me know if you're not using an admin account, and either log into one or get someone else to do it for you.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 62 of 82 (649 Views)

Origin won't open

★★★ Newbie

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Mac
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? idk
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? The regular Sims 4
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? No
What happens when the bug occurs? When ever I open origin it says it can't open because it needs to update or something like that. my computer is up to date!!
What do you expect to see? Nothing, I've never opened the app
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

The Origin website won't let me log in. My app every time I open it won't open. I spent $7 on this app... this is ridiculous! 

Message 63 of 82 (627 Views)

Re: Origin won't open

Community Manager

Hey @madirox143 would it be possible to share the full error message that you are seeing.

If you can also grab us a DxDiag that would be great: https://help.ea.com/en/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

The more info we have the better we can help.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 64 of 82 (590 Views)

Origin won't install on Mac OS 10.15.2

★★★ Newbie

I am trying to install and get an error message "Origin can't be opened because apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information"

Message 65 of 82 (649 Views)

Re: Origin won't install on Mac OS 10.15.2

@kakits  Right-click, or hold down the crtl key and click, on the Origin download, and select Open.  You'll still get a message that Apple can't check it for malicious software, but you should see the option to open it anyway.

Message 66 of 82 (637 Views)

Re: Origin won't open

@madirox143  Are you getting a message that Apple can't check the Origin download for malicious software?  If so, right-click, or hold down the crtl key and click, on the Origin download, and select Open. You'll still get a message that Apple can't check it for malicious software, but you should see the option to open it anyway.

Message 67 of 82 (565 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Newbie

Because every time I try to launch Origin it comes up with 'Origin can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

How do I fix this? 

Also if it does need to update when will the next update be?

Thank you.

Message 68 of 82 (629 Views)

Re: Does Origin work on the new MacBook Air (macOS 10.15.1)?

@luella2035  Have you installed Origin already, or are you trying to open the installer?  Either way, right-click (or hold down the control key and click) on the app or installer, and select Open.  You'll still get a message about Apple not being able to check for malicious software, but you should be able to open it anyway.

If this doesn't help, are you using an admin account on your Mac?  You need to be in order to force open an app or download.

By the way, Catalina has an updated version, 10.15.2, out now.  You don't need to update, but you certainly could.

Message 69 of 82 (611 Views)

Re: Does Origin work on the new MacBook Air (macOS 10.15.1)?

★★★★ Guide
@luella2035 Catalina requires all apps that are signed with developer IDs to be 'notarized' by Apple. In the absence of an updated version from the developer, you can try the following:

1. Right-click and select "Open". This may bring up the same dialog, but with an option to Open the file anyway.

2. You can get round this by removing the quarantine Extended Attribute on the file:

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /path/to/file

Naturally, this bypasses Apple's security precautions which exist to stop maliciously altered software from running.
Message 70 of 82 (597 Views)