Re: Origin won't open

by EA_Darko

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin won't open

★★★ Newbie

Okay, so it all started when I had returned to my computer only to see I had gotten an error message when updating a game. However, it said that the update had completed. But it wouldn't let me play the game (as in it didn't give me the option to play) or try to update it again. So I thought that the solution would be to update Origin because there was a new version available and I wasn't up to date (To be fair, I had tried yesterday only to get an error message saying that Origin couldn't because Origin was already on). I clicked "restart now". Origin restarted, though it didn't appear to have actually updated. The game was still unable to be played and the thing at the top telling me a new version of Origin was available had appeared a few seconds after Origin had popped up on my screen. So I pressed "restart now" again. And now Origin won't open at all. Is my game bricked? Is Origin itself bricked? What do I do?

Message 1 of 13 (20,198 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

@Nsjoadnu There's quite a lot there but to me, it sounds like it may simply be another program blocking Origin from updating. What you could try is disabling your anti-virus and firewall and then try to launch the game, if it works great you can add exceptions for Origin and the game to your security software. 

If not then next thing to try would be clearing your Origin cache, it's a pretty straightforward and easy to follow technique that just ensures that Origin is running as best it can.

You can clear the Origin Cache by following the steps below:

1. Completely log out and close down Origin
  2. Hold down the Windows key and R
  3. Type in "%ProgramData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  4. Now open the Origin folder.
  5. Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for LocalContent (do not delete this one)
  6. Hold down the Windows key and R
  7. Type in "%AppData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  8. This will take you to a Roaming folder, which is located inside of AppData. Delete the Origin folder
  9. Click on the word "AppData" at the top of your window
  10. Open the Local folder here
  11. Delete the Origin folder listed here
  12. Restart your PC and log back into Origin

If that does not help then please let me know and we'll take it from there but generally, these kind of issues are easy enough fixes.

Darko

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 13 (20,168 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@Nsjoadnu There's quite a lot there but to me, it sounds like it may simply be another program blocking Origin from updating. What you could try is disabling your anti-virus and firewall and then try to launch the game, if it works great you can add exceptions for Origin and the game to your security software. 

If not then next thing to try would be clearing your Origin cache, it's a pretty straightforward and easy to follow technique that just ensures that Origin is running as best it can.

You can clear the Origin Cache by following the steps below:

1. Completely log out and close down Origin
  2. Hold down the Windows key and R
  3. Type in "%ProgramData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  4. Now open the Origin folder.
  5. Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for LocalContent (do not delete this one)
  6. Hold down the Windows key and R
  7. Type in "%AppData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  8. This will take you to a Roaming folder, which is located inside of AppData. Delete the Origin folder
  9. Click on the word "AppData" at the top of your window
  10. Open the Local folder here
  11. Delete the Origin folder listed here
  12. Restart your PC and log back into Origin

If that does not help then please let me know and we'll take it from there but generally, these kind of issues are easy enough fixes.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 13 (20,169 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
0x80004005
this the error what i got when trying deleting the origin folder in "appdata"
folder

i was trying your soln. cause i can't open origin at all after installing it

any advice?
Message 3 of 13 (20,120 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @MElisaly, can I ask if you have a DxDiag we can take a look at: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

The error you are getting can point to an issue with missing or corrupt files on your system.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 4 of 13 (20,103 Views)

★★★ Newbie

hey! i tried what you suggested, but when you said to delete the origin folder in "Roaming", it wouldn't delete because it said that the folder was being used. Origin wasn't even open. i tried to delete the folder again and again, but it wouldn't let me! please help!

Message 5 of 13 (16,014 Views)

★ Novice

I am having an issue where Origin opens up but it is a small white box. I uninstalled it and now I am trying to uninstall it. For 2 days I have been working with Support help via chat that had me do the steps above multiple times. I am currently waiting for a all from Support to help me figure out why out of the blue this happened, literally hours after I played my game.

Any other suggestions? The Support has not been very helpful as they tell me to do the above steps and when that does not work I was told they couldn't help me anymore. Actually I was told to wait in queue for another rep to help.

Message 6 of 13 (15,648 Views)

★★ Novice

What if local content doesn’t show up?

Message 7 of 13 (13,865 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

So Basically, I have an integrated graphics and a discrete graphics with AMD 2020 Adreneline Drivers (where i can't force an app to use discrete cards) So what worked for me was to go to power options and set it to Balanced (recommended) because i had set it to High performance... After that i clicked on my battery icon and dragged the slider to best performance... Welp, that worked for me...

Message 8 of 13 (13,168 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I’ve done all this and it still won’t open!

Message 9 of 13 (12,923 Views)

★★★ Novice

I too have done all this and still have the white box with bullet points. Nothing else. Help please?

Message 10 of 13 (12,853 Views)