Re: Origin won't let me download my games to my external hard drive

by LexLennon

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

I figured out why Origin wasn’t accepting my external hard drive as a location and the answer makes me feel a little silly for not realizing it sooner, but the gist of it is that I hadn’t actually selected the location of my external hard drive when I thought I had. Took a closer look at it and selected the right thing and bam, Origin accepted. No reinstalation required. I haven’t tried to download any games into it yet but so far there haven’t been and warning signs of failure. 

Message 11 of 18 (2,533 Views)

★★ Novice

I have this problem too when i try to download to external hard drive. It starts to download but stops and says that "Cant install to this directory, try another directory".

I tried clearing cache but didnt help.

Message 12 of 18 (2,330 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Bibliosmia Try making a new folder in the hard-drive and downloading it to that file location. Worked for me when I had the same issue with BFV.
Message 13 of 18 (2,302 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I am having this problem and nothing is working. Since EA is not helping much and you managed to fix yours could you help me, please?

I have a Documents Folder In my EHD and I created an Applications folder as well. I downloaded the installer for Origin and placed it on my EHD. I run the installer just fine and I place the application into my Applications folder and it opens just fine, but the Save location continues to show the ld path and not show my EHD as an optional location.

Message 14 of 18 (2,150 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Just uninstall the stupid launcher and reinstall it to your external. I just did this and this is probably not an issue for you but just in case anyone comes to this thread like I did and is searcching for an answer, BOOM. I beat their system.

Message 15 of 18 (1,866 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@mrshunter091916 This worked! Thank you very much.
Message 16 of 18 (1,061 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I found a Answer if your still alive 

Go to the yt and search it up

Message 17 of 18 (853 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I struggled with this for a long time.

Go to the Origin Home page 

--Click on "ORIGIN" in the top LEFT corner:

Origin face.png

Now Click on the FIRST dropdown that says "APPLICATION SETTINGS"
-- This next picture will appear after clicking that.
-----Click on "INSTALL & SAVES"

----------Under the heading "ON YOUR COMPUTER" click on "CHANGE FOLDER"

Installs & Saves.png

Once you have click on "CHANGE FOLDER

------------------------If you have already created a folder to save it in, choose that folder. ***But make sure you created a folder for the Cache too. Marked in RED
-------------------------------If you haven't yet created a folder, you can do that now by clicking on the "NEW FOLDER" Circled in PURPLE.

Create and save folder.png

Then "SELECT FOLDER"

Once the file says the correct path it is saved. You can go back to your game.

Message 18 of 18 (70 Views)