Origin won't let me download my games to my external hard drive

by Bibliosmia

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin won't let me download my games to my external hard drive

★ Novice

I've just bough several new games. Problem is; i don't have the space to download/install them to my computer. Which is why I've gotten myself an external hard drive for my games and other personal stuff. But origin won't download to or recognize (i'm not sure) my hard drive.

I tried downloading Assassin's creed II. The game needs 12.64GB, but my D drive only has 9.47GB and the "next" button is (obviously) grey. I want to download it to my hard drive which has over 900GB free space, but when i go and change where to download it to, nothing changes. I click "choose different drive", find the external hard drive and select a folder i've made specifically for Origin games and nothing changes. I still have the exact same info about the space the game needs and that my D drive doesn't have enough... 

Alice: Madness returnes and Tomb Raider: The angel of darkness starts downloading fine, it chooses the right folder immediately, but Assassin's Creed II,- III,- Black Flag and Hitman Absolution won't. Why?

Message 1 of 18 (50,868 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Origin won't let me download my games to my external hard drive

EA DICE Team

@One-Sixtyy @Bibliosmia @yahel_1

Hi all,

The following article details how you can backup games, or download them onto a different location:

https://help.ea.com/en/help/origin/origin/backing-up-and-restoring-your-origin-games/

Kind regards,

View in thread

Message 6 of 18 (52,833 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Expert

Hi @Bibliosmia

Clear Origin cache and for this you get a perfectly detailed post from @EA_Nils >> http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/my-origin-will-not-update-my-sims-4/m-p/4721983#M163410

Then restart your machine .

Run the setup file Origin with Admin rights  http://help.ea.com/en/article/how-do-i-run-a-program-or-a-game-as-an-administrator/#2

And i think you should to be able to change the path, mate Wink

Retired champion.
Message 2 of 18 (50,826 Views)

★ Novice
It didn't workFrown But thanks for the suggestion
Message 3 of 18 (50,815 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Bibliosmia

I forgot to mention one thing,mate.

You need to install Origin in partition C (install Origin by default) . Then make a folder Origin Games in your external hard drive .

Again clear Origin cache.

Restart your machine

Now change your games path by Origin / Application Settings / Installs&Saves / Cloud Storage - Game library location -on the right you will see -Change folder...(and this change in what partition you want to go your games)

I wait a feedback from you.Thumbs up

Retired champion.
Message 4 of 18 (50,801 Views)

★ Novice

I have the same problem and im on the same step what does install in partition c mean and what do i do after 

Message 5 of 18 (50,168 Views)

EA DICE Team

@One-Sixtyy @Bibliosmia @yahel_1

Hi all,

The following article details how you can backup games, or download them onto a different location:

https://help.ea.com/en/help/origin/origin/backing-up-and-restoring-your-origin-games/

Kind regards,

Message 6 of 18 (52,834 Views)

★★★ Newbie
That’s all well and good and helpful, but Origin isn’t accepting my external hard drive as a location and I’m not sure what to do :/
Message 7 of 18 (48,064 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I just had the same problem and I think I figured it out. You have to uninstall origin and then when you reinstall you have to choose a different location( your external hard drive folder ) . Mine actually has actually started to download. I hope this helps.
Message 8 of 18 (47,612 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
problem is also Origin, they need to allow Multi Game library location on diffrent harddisk
Message 9 of 18 (47,590 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you so much all I really had to do was create a folder on the external and Bam, able to change folder save destination. Anyhow, thank you so much for the guide it really helped.

Message 10 of 18 (47,283 Views)