Origin was denied access to the following file or folder.

by PortalMaster298

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin was denied access to the following file or folder.

★ Novice

I had recently logged into my old origin account because of this quarantine (and because Mirror's Edge: Catalyst wasn't on steam.) I bought MEC and was about to check out when I had seen that Battlefield 1 was on sale. I've never played any of the games before, but I was interested. It would give me something to do. I added it to my cart and bought both of them. I installed MEC and it played perfectly. I actually finished the game earlier today, and I was astounded with it. Though, whenever I try to install Battlefield 1, it gives me the following error:

Origin was denied access to the following file or folder: .

This may be due to security restrictions or disk corruption. Check the folder permissions or check your disk for errors before retrying the download.

I don't know what folder it's trying to reach, because it just gives me a period. I also don't know how to check for the folders or even if my disk is corrupted? I'm not sure what to do, and I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm looking forward to playing this game, until then I may just complete all the side missions on MEC. 

Message 1 of 20 (5,379 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Origin was denied access to the following file or folder.

Community Manager

Hey @PortalMaster298 this is most likely a permissions issue.

Can you ensure that your Windows account is set as administrator and that when launching Origin you are launching it as administrator.

Where is it that you are trying to install games to?

Darko

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 20 (5,334 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @PortalMaster298 this is most likely a permissions issue.

Can you ensure that your Windows account is set as administrator and that when launching Origin you are launching it as administrator.

Where is it that you are trying to install games to?

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 20 (5,335 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks, Darko! 

When I ran Origin as an administrator, Battlefield 1 started downloading automatically! 

That is so weird, though. I had no problems downloading the Mirror's Edge game, but maybe Battlefield is bigger?

Anyway, thanks a bunch!

Message 3 of 20 (5,323 Views)

Community Manager

Great to hear that you got it sorted @PortalMaster298.

The issue is dependent on what folders are required for use by the game.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 4 of 20 (5,299 Views)

★ Novice

Hello Darko,

I have been experiencing the same problems with my FIFA 20 game. I was in contact with EA support chat and they gave me some steps to follow (e.g. end all background processes), which unfortunately did not solve the problem yet. After this I haven't been able to get access to EA support chat again, so I am happy to see your answer to the post. I tried your solution and FIFA 20 is now downloading!

Thanks a million!

Message 5 of 20 (5,277 Views)

Community Manager

That's great to hear @oulenou.

Enjoy your gaming.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 6 of 20 (5,268 Views)

Game wouldn't start, uninstalled it and now can't reinstall due to permissions?

★ Novice

I couldn't launch the game, it would be stuck in a white background and not respond. I tried repairing, restarting origin and my computer but nothing worked. Eventually I decided to uninstall it to attempt reinstalling but at that point I was met with another error.

The error was as following:

Origin was denied access to the following file or folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Apex\__Installer\vc\vc2015\eula\pt_BR.rtf_DiP_STAGED.

I cannot gain access to the _Installer folder within Origin Games/Apex/_Installer and I literally cannot open it or have any permissions, nor can I give myself permission. Downloading it on a different location doesn't work because it's a "read only" folder, even after I uncheck read-only it just reverts back to read only. It's also dumb considering the Origin Games folder itself Read only. I'm at a loss, I have no idea what to do anymore.

I reported the error as well and here's the report code:

1250cdd1200614c4

Message 7 of 20 (5,182 Views)

Re: Game wouldn't start, uninstalled it and now can't reinstall due to permissio

Community Manager

Hey @Butterslicer I would recommend trying the following to see if it helps;

• Press Windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (Admin) to open the Elevated Command Prompt. (If prompted for a password, type the password and click allow)
  • Type the following command:
  • chkdsk /r and click Enter
  • chkdsk  /f and click Enter
  • If you see this message:  
  • Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N). Then press 'Y' and click Enter.
  • Restart your system and let the check disk run. 

Darko

Darko.png
Message 8 of 20 (5,101 Views)

Re: Game wouldn't start, uninstalled it and now can't reinstall due to permissio

★★ Novice

I am having the same issue and tried both running as administrator and the command prompt disk repair but neither worked.

A fresh reinstall of Origin also did not work.

Do you have any other ideas? Thanks.

Message 9 of 20 (4,945 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @MacroZir I would recommend creating a new Window's admin account and then trying to see if you can install Origin on that account.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 10 of 20 (4,913 Views)