Re: Origin throttling my download speeds

by Bryce_da_shizzle

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin throttling my download speeds

★★★ Newbie

I pay for Origin Access monthly, and wanted an update for BF5.  I downloaded half of the update in 10 seconds due to my extremely fast internet speeds, and was then promptly throttled down to 800KB/S to 1.5 MB/S.  My internet speed did not change during this.  This is extremely unacceptable and I want to know why Origin decides to severely limit my download speed.

everything else was closed, any other application using network bandwidth was ended.  I had a pipeline of 750 MB/S straight into my PC and I was using 1/750th of it.  The game should have been downloaded in 30 seconds and instead is taking 2 hours. 

Message 1 of 10 (9,002 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

Hey @Grobfoot if you are seeing slow speeds try the following steps please:

• Disable all background programs on your system (including Steam). You can also do this with a clean boot
  • Temporarily disconnect all other devices that you don't need from your network
  • Use a wired connection
  • Make sure Origin is accepted in your anti-virus and firewall
  • You can also try using Safe Mode Downloading via Origin which is under Application Settings, Advanced

It is important to remember that a 750ms line does not mean that you will ever see close to those download speeds.

Darko

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 10 (8,979 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @Grobfoot if you are seeing slow speeds try the following steps please:

• Disable all background programs on your system (including Steam). You can also do this with a clean boot
  • Temporarily disconnect all other devices that you don't need from your network
  • Use a wired connection
  • Make sure Origin is accepted in your anti-virus and firewall
  • You can also try using Safe Mode Downloading via Origin which is under Application Settings, Advanced

It is important to remember that a 750ms line does not mean that you will ever see close to those download speeds.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 10 (8,980 Views)

★★★ Newbie

No it is your junk program doing it. I can download at almost 1 GB/s. I downloaded half of the update in 30 seconds or so and then it shut me down to 1.3 mb/s. It is not my background processes. It is your servers. Why do I pay money to have my download speeds throttled? You should have gone with Steam instead. I know they take some profit margin but it seems you aren't too worried about profits lately with your incredible game optimizations, server download throttling, ect ect. I am glad we are back to 2009 with server speeds. Perhaps recent budget cuts or are we not talking about #BF5WasAFlop?

Message 3 of 10 (8,935 Views)

★ Apprentice

I find they give the same C&P response. It's very unprofessional. They always try to blame the customer instead of admitting the problems are on their end. What a bunch of useless stupid monkies.

Message 4 of 10 (8,301 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I'm trying to download Vambrace Cold Soul (it was added to Origin Access Basic just yesterday)

The download wasn't stable went many times to 0 B / sec, it reached 72% and stuck at that 0 speed ever since no progress for almost an hour

Restarted my laptop and my router still nothing.. pausing and resuming the download the speed goes up for 2 seconds after resuming and then back to 0 B / sec.

Message 5 of 10 (8,283 Views)

★★ Novice
@EA_Darko Another stupid reply
Message 6 of 10 (7,434 Views)

★★★ Novice

And this is marked as "solved"

Lmao

Message 7 of 10 (7,037 Views)

★★ Novice

Sorry for the necro however this is the first post that pops up when searching for this issue so I thought it would help to leave this here:

Head to the installation directory of your Origin app, you should see a file called EACore.ini or just "EACore" depending on your settings, open it up and paste this in:

[connection]
EnvironmentName=production

[Feature]
CdnOverride=akamai

If for any reason you can't access the folder or cannot change the EACore file due to permissions you can make a new text document on your desktop, open it up and paste the exact same thing listed above, head to File > Save as...  > Save as type: All Files (*.*) > File name: EACore.ini
Once that is done you can leave the file on your desktop and place the Origin shortcut next to the file after which Origin should recognize the file and update your settings accordingly.

After everything is set up just restart the app and you should have your download speed uncapped, I've also included a picture of how it should be formatted in notepad, hopefully this fixes the issue for any people that find this in the future.

Message 8 of 10 (2,907 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Is placing the Origin shortcut next to the file necessary? I'm not sure where to place the shortcut, on the left side of it? or can it be below the file? Will that work in recognizing the file? Or can I place it on my second desktop? I DUNNO!

Message 9 of 10 (1,941 Views)

★ Novice
@Tagendorr Thank you so much omg
Message 10 of 10 (1,753 Views)