Origin thinks I have Windows 7 - but I have Windows 10

by DanPDanP

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin thinks I have Windows 7 - but I have Windows 10

★★★ Newbie

I have the Sims 4

I have Windows 10

When I try and launch The Sims, Origin tries to update. It downloads the update, asks for admin rights, then tells me I have Windows 7 and I need to update.

I HAVE WINDOWS 10

So I cannot play The Sims as it will not open because Origin thinks I have Windows 7, which I don't.

I am not running Origin in compatibility mode, I have checked that.

Please could you let me know how to fix this so that I can play the Sims

Thank you

Message 1 of 12 (1,608 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Origin thinks I have Windows 7 - but I have Windows 10

Community Manager

@AuroraFortuna 

If clearing the cache hasn't helped then the next step would be to try uninstalling and reinstalling Origin altogether. For more info on how to do so check out the EA Help site. Let me know if you're still getting the same error message afterward. 

/Kent

Kent.png

View in thread

Message 4 of 12 (1,507 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @DanPDanP

If you're still having any trouble with Origin not updating properly can you try clearing out the Origin cache to see if that helps at all? For more details on how to clear the cache check out the EA Help website

Let me know if you're still getting the same error message afterward. Thanks!

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 2 of 12 (1,556 Views)

★ Novice

I have also had this issue with Origins Launcher. I have tried your 'fix' however it still hasn't worked. I'm still being informed that I need to update my OS to windows 10.unknown (1).pngunknown.png

Message 3 of 12 (1,539 Views)

Community Manager

@AuroraFortuna 

If clearing the cache hasn't helped then the next step would be to try uninstalling and reinstalling Origin altogether. For more info on how to do so check out the EA Help site. Let me know if you're still getting the same error message afterward. 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 4 of 12 (1,508 Views)

Community Manager

@AuroraFortuna 

Were you able to try reinstalling Origin? Are you still running into the same error message? 

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 5 of 12 (1,482 Views)

★ Novice

Reinstalling worked thankfully. I was getting a little frustrated with it. I'm just glad I can play my games again... I hope this bug gets patched up. 

Message 6 of 12 (1,474 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks for letting me know it helped! I'm glad to hear it's working for you now. Thumbs up

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 7 of 12 (1,448 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I am having the same issue and reinstalling is not fixing it. I have windows 10 and it is up to date, so why will this still not work? This is really frustrating.

Message 8 of 12 (1,422 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Here reinstalling worked for a play, but then in the next day the same problem occurred again.

Message 9 of 12 (1,353 Views)

Community Manager

@lrasomattos wrote:

Here reinstalling worked for a play, but then in the next day the same problem occurred again.

Hey there. 

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having trouble with this even after reinstalling. What happens if you try setting up a Clean Boot on your PC before you launch Origin? If there's something else running in the background that's causing issues with the Origin client this may help us get around it. 

For more details on how you can set up a Clean Boot check out the EA Help website. Once your PC starts back up try launching Origin. Let me know if you're having any of the same issues after that. 

Thanks!

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 10 of 12 (1,304 Views)