Re: Origin shut down itself when I try to update Sims 4

by Vaxfiend

Original Post

Origin shut down itself when I try to update Sims 4

★★★ Newbie

Hi there. I created my origian account when EA released the sims 4 for free last year and this is the only game on my origin account.

When I wanted to play sims 4 origin told me that I need to update the game. when I clicked on the update button origin shut down itself. I tried to update it few more times but it wont work. origin shut down. it happened whem I press on the cancel button or when I click anywere ealse on the screen.

can someone help me?

Message 1 of 15 (2,304 Views)

★★★ Novice

Exact same issue here. Origin just shuts down, despite clearing the caches, running as admin, updating drivers, etc. Sims good, Origin bad! 

If I don't get any ideas soon, it's gonna be time for a new game. One that isn't slaved to Origin!

Message 2 of 15 (2,254 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Vaxfiend and @Vaxfiend the best thing to do is to take a couple of minutes and try the following steps

• Run Origin as Administrator: Right-click on the launcher and select Run as Administrator 
  • Firewalls and Internet Security Software: Make sure that you’ve added the Origin client as an exception to any Firewalls or other Internet Security Software, like Ad-Block, you may have running so that your connection to our servers isn’t blocked.
  • Your software may even have some Internet ports blocked. If so, the following are used by the Origin client and must be open for a smooth connection:
    • TCP: 80; 443; 9960-9969; 1024-1124; 3216; 18000; 18120; 18060; 27900; 28910; 29900
    • UDP: 1024-1124; 18000; 2990

Darko

Darko.png
Message 3 of 15 (2,203 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@EA_Darko I tried to run as adminatror and it still shut itself down.

How do I add the origina client as exepstion to my firewall? or antivirus? (I have AVG)
how do I use the TCP/UPD? where I need to type this?
Message 4 of 15 (2,193 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hey @TOM-SILVER2 if you search online then you will find step by step instructions on how to set up your anti-virus and open the ports on your router. 

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 5 of 15 (2,188 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@EA_Darko ok. but what I need to search? what to write on google?
Message 6 of 15 (2,152 Views)

Community Manager

If you check out the website of your anti-virus provider then there should be guides to show you how to white list programs @TOM-SILVER2.

The same for your router, you can also speak with your ISP who can walk you through or even open the ports for you.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 7 of 15 (2,150 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I was having the same problem. Running as admin and disabling antivirus didn't work. I downloaded Origin again (without uninstalling it on my PC first) and ran the file and poof. It worked.

No clue why.

Message 8 of 15 (2,026 Views)

Community Manager

Great to hear that it is sorted @buckle_bread.

It may be something as simple as when you redownloaded it was done as administrator or a file was corrupt and the reinstall fixed it.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 9 of 15 (1,995 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

The same issue is happening again for the current update. It's kind of sad it hasn't been addressed. People shouldn't have to go to the Origin website and redownload the software each and every time the game needs updated.

Message 10 of 15 (1,911 Views)