Origin sending large data packets

by rebuiltHK47

Original Post

Origin sending large data packets

★★★★ Apprentice

I am not the only one that has been experiencing Origin causing lag spikes. I recently spoke to some in-game that have expressed the same thing. This isn't a "bug report" as much as it is a "does anyone else notice this?" post. Though if this does get passed on to be looked at, that'd be cool Standard smile.

It has become apparent that Origin is sending needlessly large data packets, or sending data when it shouldn't be. I have everything turned off for it to send data (including cloud saves). Yet I still get bursts of intense lag every 5-10 seconds.

Now, my connection is pretty bad because, not only am I connecting to a server IP that I shouldn't be connecting to for Battlefront 2 (which doesn't change regardless of what ISP is used), but the route is sending me from the US, to the UK, and then back to the US to the server*. I have already contacted the carrier and the ISP they have peering with for that. But that's not the cause of the issue. Why?

Because when Origin is closed, I can run a ping -t** to 159.153.38.49 (that IP I shouldn't be connecting to) and the latency stays below 200ms 70% of the time, and below 250ms 99% of the time. I get bursts of 400-500ms every few seconds.

I tested running a ping-t to 8.8.8.8. Normal latency is 56-120ms (120 on rare occasion). When I start up Battlefront 2, I get bursts of 1kms, 2kms, 3kms, "Request Timed Out" every 5-10 seconds that last 20+ seconds each time. If I close SWBF2 and Origin immediately when that happens (even if I use the bad method of closing origin through task manager), it stops happening that instant. This is a 100% consistent thing.

For comparison: I play STO through Steam and SWTOR (don't use Origin for it) on the same computer at the same time. When I run a ping -t to 8.8.8.8 with those two running, it shows 60-150ms (150 on rare occasion). When I run a ping -t to 159.153.38.49 with those two running, I get 190-245ms. Without them running it's slightly lower.

I'm using phone tether, so there's no network to deal with. Firewall, AV, etc. are not the cause. Neither is Windows Update because I have both parts of it shut off in Services (yes there are two parts to it).

The last time I had something similar, yet far more extreme, was when Origin wouldn't open anything at all. Just loading up the log-in window would cause my internet to be so bogged down, that Origin couldn't connect to it's own servers. Origin would sit and do nothing, even after 20 min of trying to load just the log-in window, let alone when I could get past that and to my game library. It wouldn't even load the application settings page (genius setup). I fixed that problem by uninstalling and reinstalling Origin.

When I played at a friend's house with an internet connection far better than mine, I'd still have the occasional lag spikes, but they weren't as intense.

My conclusion, hopefully I'm right, is that Origin isn't supposed to be sending large bursts of data (which on my connection takes longer to send than on better ones). No game client should do that period.

*Note: An internet IP route doesn't always take the same path from point B to A as it does going from A to B. So the route goes me -> US route -> UK -> Calif server -> US route -> me. That's why my ping time isn't as insane as one would think.

** Each "ping -t" is when letting it run for about 1min straight.

Message 1 of 10 (1,049 Views)

Re: Origin sending large data packets

Community Manager

@rebuiltHK47 Can you share your UO trace so that we can take a look at how your data is being routed? 

The steps to do so can be found here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/connection-troubleshooting-basic/

It is worth running one and then going through the troubleshooting steps in the link above and then running a second test to compare. 

Darko.png
Message 2 of 10 (1,033 Views)

★★★ Newbie
i have had problems with same issue , ***16 HOURS *** to DL ME3 10GB game , Pulling my hair out trying to resolve lag issues , Decided to try and DL skyrim 30GB from steam *** 8 MINUTES *** .. RIDICULOUS
Message 3 of 10 (1,027 Views)

Community Manager

@3lionsuk  I tried downloading ME:3 just there and had it done in a couple of minutes so if you are seeing issues with download speeds on Origin then please try the following steps to see if they help.

• Disable all background programs on your system (including Steam). You can also do this with a clean boot
  • Temporarily disconnect all other devices that you don't need from your network
  • Use a wired connection
  • Make sure Origin is accepted in your anti-virus and firewall
  • You can also try using Safe Mode Downloading via Origin which is under Application Settings, Advanced

If the issue remains then please let us know. 

Darko.png
Message 4 of 10 (1,018 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_DarkoIt's not a routing issue. That's not the problem. Why is it that that's the first thing to look into?

"I have everything turned off for it to send data (including cloud saves). Yet I still get bursts of intense lag every 5-10 seconds." is not the important part of all that. That's a symptom of what's happening. The important part is Origin sending/receiving data that is larger than it should be which kills my connection completely. If it was the route, it wouldn't affect my ping test to 8.8.8.8. The fact that it affects that, completely removes the "it's the route" idea.

It appears that Origin sends data packets that are larger than they should be which causes my internet connection to be unusable for a bit. That isn't caused by routing problems, that's caused by large amounts of data being sent all at once. It's like loading a website that has a lot of media on it (video advertisements and regular videos that auto-play, gifs, pictures etc all at once). The connection gets loaded down.

Message 5 of 10 (1,000 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@3lionsuk That's not the same at all. This isn't about downloading games. This is about Origin sending/receiving data in larger quantities than it should causing total internet loss.

Message 6 of 10 (998 Views)

★ Novice

Is this lag time looking like a several rows of gray lines? If so, that's the problem I've been having myself. 

Message 7 of 10 (809 Views)

Community Manager

@Bunny2356 Based on the image, the best thing for you to try is clearing the Origin cache. I'd be willing to bet that once you do your Origin should be good as new.

You can clear the Origin Cache by following the steps below:

1. Completely log out and close down Origin
  2. Hold down the Windows key and R
  3. Type in "%ProgramData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  4. Now open the Origin folder.
  5. Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for LocalContent (do not delete this one)
  6. Hold down the Windows key and R
  7. Type in "%AppData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  8. This will take you to a Roaming folder, which is located inside of AppData. Delete the Origin folder
  9. Click on the word "AppData" at the top of your window
  10. Open the Local folder here
  11. Delete the Origin folder listed here
  12. Restart your PC and log back into Origin

Let me know how you get on with it.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 8 of 10 (795 Views)

★ Novice

@EA_Darko

I followed your instructions and I've still got the same problem as I did last night. 

Message 9 of 10 (782 Views)

★ Novice

Ran through your instructions twice to no avail.

Message 10 of 10 (778 Views)