Re: Origin preventing windows shutdown windows 10

by KMBak

Original Post

★ Apprentice

I made some search about that problem. It's 100% Microsoft related issue. There are some other apps (runned in backgroud) could make this issue too (for example Skype, nVidia Share, Origin or even Explorer.exe). System shutdowns faster then apps clear from memory. It's 100% not hardware issue. There is a chance that it's related to 16GB (or more) RAM. I have two computers with 16GB RAM and Windows 10 - both has problem with Origin and Skype. 

I made simply REG solution (thanks AskVG.com) that I don't need to click OK button (sometimes error dialog even not show). Warning: solutiion will also close apps with unsaved files (normally unsaved files interrupt system shutdown)!

To force Windows shutdown without stopping start regedit, got to: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop", add NEW STRING: "AutoEndTasks" and set value to 1

After computer restart any app never interrupt Windows shutdown. You can always change value to if case of something.

Check out screen.

Message 51 of 184 (2,393 Views)

★★★ Novice

Scorched earth approaches are never a good thing, your fix is terrible.

This is an issue that EA/Origin need to solve 100%. MS would be responsible for their Skype program and Nvidia is responsible for their programs that misbehave on shutdown, just an FYI.

Message 52 of 184 (2,386 Views)

★ Apprentice

"This is an issue that EA/Origin need to solve 100%."

I'd like it too. But when I shutdown PC it have to shutdown. I dont want to remember to click some OK buttons because of poor programmers.

Message 53 of 184 (2,494 Views)

★★★★ Novice

they have not solved anything. I still have the same problem and will not let me off the pc

Message 54 of 184 (2,475 Views)

Re: origin client preventing shutdown win 10

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Hi all,

I encounter this problem since the new origin has been launched without finding a solution to it...

What I did :

- activated total shutdown (not the fast one by default in Windows);

- tested my RAM with memtest and all is ok;

- clean installed Win 10 with the latest ISO (1607) from Microsoft;

- allocated manually some virtual memory (66'000 MB in minimum and maximum while I have 64GB RAM);

What can I do to have an efficient solution to this problem? All the times I have Origin.exe that prevents Windows to shut down and then a crash...

Please, it is extremely annoying...

Message 55 of 184 (2,762 Views)

★★★ Novice

True, but your fix of forcing a shutdown under any circumstance no matter what isn't very wise in the long run. Standard smile

Message 56 of 184 (2,463 Views)

★ Apprentice

Why? Only problem could be if You have not saved work. There are no any other contraindication. System anyway forces tasks ending. Only critical stops showing popup screens.

I often work remote and I cant afford that system hangs during restart procedure bacasue I can lost my remote machine (it will stops between shutting down and starting up). So in my point of view it's only resonable solution (preventive) for now. Ofcourse it should be repaired by software engeeners but I dont know where is bigger weight of fault. Origin or MS?

Message 57 of 184 (2,460 Views)

★★★ Novice

Origin is at a bigger fault, actually the only fault here is EA, since it's their program that is misbehaving at shutdown. Each developer is responsible for their own program whether it works correctly or not.

Message 58 of 184 (2,456 Views)

★ Apprentice

I am posting here the same thing that I posted elsewhere on the forum :

I encounter this problem since the new origin has been launched without finding a solution to it...

What I did :

- activated total shutdown (not the fast one by default in Windows);

- tested my RAM with memtest and all is ok;

- clean installed Win 10 with the latest ISO (1607) from Microsoft;

- allocated manually some virtual memory (66'000 MB in minimum and maximum while I have 64GB RAM);

What can I do to have an efficient solution to this problem? All the times I try to stop my computer, Origin.exe prevents Windows to shut down and then there is crash...

Please, it is extremely annoying...

Message 59 of 184 (2,444 Views)

★ Apprentice

Use my solution - one page earlier.

Message 60 of 184 (2,427 Views)