Re: Origin preventing windows shutdown windows 10

by GeneralDum7

Original Post

EA DICE Team

@CRUDE-1

Sounds like there might be sometimes different happening on your system. Could you perhaps try a clean boot and let me know if that lets your computer shut down when Origin is running?

It would also help me look into this for you if you reply to this thread with a dxdiag.

Message 31 of 184 (2,210 Views)

★★★ Expert

@Straatford87 Just a note on this, I had the same error with Origin 10 on the Beta that was active the day the non beta went live for everyone. For me, Windows 10 was actually allocating LESS that the minimum recommended pagefile size (virtual memory.) I took control of that manually and set acceptable virtual memory. I haven't seen the shut down error since.

How to manage virtual memory manually and, a bit of an explanation as to why it helps. http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2864547/manage-virtual-memory-pagefile-windows.html

Message 32 of 184 (2,203 Views)

EA DICE Team

@DarkAmaranth1966

Thanks for noting that - I read about it as well when doing a web search on the error.

@50d063260aa765da @CRUDE-1 @sirglock

Perhaps you could also try the suggestion made by DarkAmaranth in her last post, regarding the pagefile size.

Message 33 of 184 (2,137 Views)

★★ Novice

I can confirm that changing my pagefile size from 8gb to 16gb (16384MB) worked. It didn't initially, but appears to have fixed it after a reboot.  I will report back if it happens again.

Tom -- Can you please still check with the dev team about this?  I'm not sure why a program that takes <100MB of ram while idle would be crashing on a 16gb PC w/ 8gb of swap.  My guess - Origin is trying to address memory at the end of the swapfile that it assumes is the same as the physical ram which does not exist.

Thanks!

Message 34 of 184 (2,127 Views)

Re: close application safely.........

★★★★ Novice

my ID: SrSoria

Problem ID: 

0ae4894d8004163f

thanks you!

Message 35 of 184 (2,118 Views)

★★ Novice

Well, it looks like I was wrong. The error returned tonight. This time with a different memory address. Frown

Message 36 of 184 (2,119 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

@sirglock

Unfortunate that the error returned Frown

This will of course still get looked at - thanks for coming back to me!

@50d063260aa765da @SrSoria @CRUDE-1

Could you please still provide your ID # for the Origin Error Report? You can just copy and paste the number in this thread.

Message 37 of 184 (2,115 Views)

★★★★ Novice

0ae4894d8004163f

Message 38 of 184 (2,095 Views)

EA DICE Team

@SrSoria

Thank you Standard smile

Message 39 of 184 (2,093 Views)

★★★ Novice

Any updates on this one? I have been having the exact same problem, since the new the ui for origin was released.

Message 40 of 184 (2,076 Views)