Re: Origin offline mode

by EA_Darko

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin offline mode

★★★ Novice

Hi,

I have an issue with Origin, it seems to be a common one and the steps below should fix it, but it doesn't work for me:

You can clear the Origin Cache by following the steps below:

1. Completely log out and close down Origin
  2. Hold down the Windows key and R
  3. Type in "%ProgramData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  4. Now open the Origin folder.
  5. Delete all the files and folders in the Origin folder, except for LocalContent (do not delete this one)
  6. Hold down the Windows key and R
  7. Type in "%AppData%" (without quotes) and click OK
  8. This will take you to a Roaming folder, which is located inside of AppData. Delete the Origin folder
  9. Click on the word "AppData" at the top of your window
  10. Open the Local folder here
  11. Delete the Origin folder listed here
  12. Restart your PC and log back into Origin

Is there any available solution?
I use Win10 and Origin latest version, the Firewall it's not blocking ports...

Message 1 of 12 (1,233 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Novice

Thanks for the idea, that's definitely something that you need to add to that KB, but it wasn't my case, it just gave me some will to go deeper by myself :D .

My problem was the AV, unfortunately, it was causing issues but it wasn't logged in the origin logs or the AV logs neither, very difficult to intercept.

So I gave a try anyway, I whitelisted the Origin.exe plus any game.exe, it works!!!

There is only one thing to notice, the chat was working without issues, so I was technically online, but I couldn't launch the game from the UI, the button "Play" was grayed out.

You can launch the game form the folder or eventually from the try icon (bottom right of the windows bar).

In any case, the game won't work online until you don't whitelist also the game.exe.

Good to know, after you played once, the game becomes accessible also from the button "Play", that's definitely a bug.

ADDITIONAL NOTES

- The Windows Event Logger helps in identifying such issues (you need to dig around applications and security as well), in my specific case, the cert counter-verification from the AV was failing and I spotted the origin.exe, plus other APIs... But because it was not seen as a threat, it was not logged as a thread and I couldn't see it as the cause initially...

- The Windows Event Logger has to be used from an Administrator account in Win 10!

Thanks everyone, @EA_Darko please add this experience to the KB!

View in thread

Message 9 of 12 (955 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @Chado92v,

Are you getting any messages when going through those steps to clear the cache, or are you able to complete each step without problems?

If you're not seeing any errors or messages popping up when going through that process, the next thing I'd suggest trying would be uninstalling Origin the hard way: https://help.ea.com/en/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/#hard-way 

That should be a bit more involved than a typical reinstallation, so doing that and then clearing the cache one final time should remove Origin completely so you can try starting fresh.

Mako.png
Message 2 of 12 (1,223 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

That didn't help, I tried many times, I also found other regkeys, but they don't seem to be related to any sort of issue regarding offline/online mode.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\link2ea\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\origin\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Origin\\Origin.exe\" \"%1\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA Games\Battlefield 1]
"DisplayName"="Battlefield™ 1"
"Locale"="en_US"
"Product GUID"="{335B50BC-6130-4BAF-9A6A-F1561270587B}"
"Install Dir"="D:\\OriginLibrary\\Battlefield 1\\"

How shall I solve this? I can't play any game and I'm not going to prebook BF6 if Origin doesn't work, without the launcher, the game won't work.

I just tried with BF1, I have the same issue in the game, it's in offline mode...

Message 3 of 12 (1,114 Views)

★★★ Novice

It didn't work, I also found other reg keys, but they seem harmless.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\link2ea\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\origin\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Origin\\Origin.exe\" \"%1\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA Games\Battlefield 1]
"DisplayName"="Battlefield™ 1"
"Locale"="en_US"
"Product GUID"="{335B50BC-6130-4BAF-9A6A-F1561270587B}"
"Install Dir"="D:\\OriginLibrary\\Battlefield 1\\"

How I'm supposed to fix this? I can't do major things like formatting just for Origin...

In any case, what I showed you above proves that EA doesn't have a clear way on how to remove the reg keys...

I can't prebook BF6 if this is not fixed...

Btw, I tried with BF1 and also in the game I get that I'm offline, does this depend from the launcher or it's a simple underlying networking issue? I'm not restricting anything for the Origin client, as well as the game.exe at the moment.

Message 4 of 12 (1,174 Views)

★★★ Novice

Any clue?

Message 5 of 12 (1,130 Views)

★★★ Novice

still can't play any game, can you please ask your developers?

Message 6 of 12 (1,102 Views)

★★★ Novice

Anyone that can offer a solution??

Message 7 of 12 (1,041 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Chado92v have you tried to play on a different network or ISP?

If you can use your phone as a hot spot and connect using mobile data that would be great.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 8 of 12 (981 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for the idea, that's definitely something that you need to add to that KB, but it wasn't my case, it just gave me some will to go deeper by myself :D .

My problem was the AV, unfortunately, it was causing issues but it wasn't logged in the origin logs or the AV logs neither, very difficult to intercept.

So I gave a try anyway, I whitelisted the Origin.exe plus any game.exe, it works!!!

There is only one thing to notice, the chat was working without issues, so I was technically online, but I couldn't launch the game from the UI, the button "Play" was grayed out.

You can launch the game form the folder or eventually from the try icon (bottom right of the windows bar).

In any case, the game won't work online until you don't whitelist also the game.exe.

Good to know, after you played once, the game becomes accessible also from the button "Play", that's definitely a bug.

ADDITIONAL NOTES

- The Windows Event Logger helps in identifying such issues (you need to dig around applications and security as well), in my specific case, the cert counter-verification from the AV was failing and I spotted the origin.exe, plus other APIs... But because it was not seen as a threat, it was not logged as a thread and I couldn't see it as the cause initially...

- The Windows Event Logger has to be used from an Administrator account in Win 10!

Thanks everyone, @EA_Darko please add this experience to the KB!

Message 9 of 12 (956 Views)

Community Manager

Great to hear that you got it sorted @Chado92v.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 10 of 12 (924 Views)