Re: Origin not working on MacOS Catalina

by ieatcocopops94

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin not working on MacOS Catalina

★★ Novice

I had an error with The Sims 4 game (the game wouldn't launch because it said it was already running even though it wasn't), and contacted EA support chat to fix it and was given solutions that eventually led me to reinstall the origin but now the Origin app won't launch at all and I'm getting an error message saying "The software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information."  Help Please!

Message 1 of 15 (14,780 Views)

Accepted Solution

@Ms_Ebun  Try to open Origin again, so you get the malicious software warning again.  Then click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen and select System Preferences > Security and Privacy.  Under the General tab, you should see a message about Origin being  blocked.  Click the lock icon in the lower left corner of the window, enter your password so you can make changes, and click the button to allow Origin anyway.

For the Sims is already running message, move your entire Sims 4 game folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  Launch the game once, which will create a new game folder.  Then you can copy the contents of the Saves and Tray folders from your old game folder to your new one, as well as Mods if you use them.  Here's a complete list of everything in your game folder:

https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2014/09/user-files-explained/

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 15 (14,732 Views)

All Replies

@Ms_Ebun  Try to open Origin again, so you get the malicious software warning again.  Then click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen and select System Preferences > Security and Privacy.  Under the General tab, you should see a message about Origin being  blocked.  Click the lock icon in the lower left corner of the window, enter your password so you can make changes, and click the button to allow Origin anyway.

For the Sims is already running message, move your entire Sims 4 game folder out of Documents\Electronic Arts and onto your desktop.  Launch the game once, which will create a new game folder.  Then you can copy the contents of the Saves and Tray folders from your old game folder to your new one, as well as Mods if you use them.  Here's a complete list of everything in your game folder:

https://sims4.crinrict.com/eng/2014/09/user-files-explained/

Message 2 of 15 (14,733 Views)

★★★ Guide
@Ms_Ebun reinstall the new client (uninstall it before reinstallingStandard smile cheers mate
Message 3 of 15 (14,728 Views)

★★ Novice

That worked. Thanks!

Message 4 of 15 (14,679 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thank you so much! I've been trying to figure out how to override this for days to no avail! You're a life saver Standard smile

Message 5 of 15 (14,632 Views)

★★★ Newbie

That worked. Thank you very much!

Message 6 of 15 (14,590 Views)

★★★ Novice

I wish I saw this earlier. I literally spent days stressing and thinking it was because I bought a new bundle.

I probably wouldn't have lost all my game data, as well, and wouldn't have had to start afresh after following advice from an EA help rep.

So annoyed.

Message 7 of 15 (14,497 Views)

★★★ Guide
@ieatcocopops94 what data have you lost?
Message 8 of 15 (14,494 Views)

★★★ Novice

I've essentially lost 207 hours of gameplay. All my save files and everything were gone before I reinstalled both Origin and Sims 4. And it was because one of the EA reps I spoke with on the phone said to delete a file, so yay me

Message 9 of 15 (14,478 Views)

@ieatcocopops94  If you removed your Sims 4 game folder from Documents\Electronic Arts at some point, and you still have that folder, you can transfer the contents of Saves and Tray from that folder to the new one that's now in Documents.  Or, if you have iCloud storage enabled, you may find a copy of your game folder there.  You might even have a copy in iCloud archives.  To look, open a Finder window, click on Macintosh HD on the left panel, then Users > your username, and you may see one or more folders labeled iCloud Archive.  The same principle applies: you can copy your saves and Tray entries to your current game folder.

If you don't see Macintosh HD on the left panel in Finder, click Finder in the upper left corner of your screen and select Preferences, then Sidebar.  Under Devices, check the box next to Hard disks.

Message 10 of 15 (14,471 Views)