Re: Origin not opening

by ximenarifai

Original Post

@ximenarifai  Try disabling Origin in-game: hover over your username, select Application Settings, then the Origin in-game header, and disable the option at the top.

If that doesn't help, where are the base game and packs installed now?  Please double-check both Macintosh HD > Applications and Users > your username > Applications to see whether there's any Sims 4 content.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 11 of 22 (685 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@puzzlezaddict Did that and now it opens much faster! Thanks. But I have noticed that all of the content from the packs I own appear to be broken. Like the hairs & stuff have red & white & question marks on them Frown the problems seem never ending! They do show as purchased in them though!

Message 12 of 22 (670 Views)

@ximenarifai  The missing textures issue is pretty common these days.  You can try repairing the game in Origin: open your game library, right-click (or hold down crtl and click) on the Sims 4 icon, and select Repair.  It's a good idea to reset Origin again first, to clear any stale data.  The repair will only fix missing textures in the base game though, due to the way packs are now installed in a separate folder.

If you still have missing textures after the repair, and you can figure out what pack they belong to, just delete that pack, reset Origin again, and redownload it.  Here's more information on how things are organized and how to repair a pack in macOS:

https://bluebellflora.com/2020/06/17/repairing-sims-4-packs-in-origin/

Message 13 of 22 (661 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I'm unfortunately unable to access my Origin account once again, & I had uninstalled my Sims 4 game in an attempt to re-download it, so now I can't even do the steps you're mentioning below. I did only manage to reset Origin with the Reset tool but that didn't help Origin come back up! I'm getting really discouraged here. 

Message 14 of 22 (645 Views)

@ximenarifai  Alright, try doing a clean uninstall of Origin, then installing it into a new admin user account.

https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-uninstall-origin-on-a-mac/

Origin will install the game into the user Applications folder by default, but you can change this within Origin (under Installs & Saves), or drag the Sims 4 icon and the Sims 4 Packs folder to the main Applications folder after the fact.

Message 15 of 22 (635 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I have completely uninstalled Origin & Sims 4 from my laptop, I had it installed in a new user a couple of months ago, do I need a 3rd one now?

Message 16 of 22 (597 Views)

@ximenarifai  I don't know what's changing between when you can use Origin and when you can't.  In your position, since creating a new user account worked before (albeit only temporarily), I'd wipe the second user account and create a fresh one in which to install Origin and then Sims 4.  There are so many possible reasons Origin might stop working—custom settings, browser add-ons, proxies, etc. in one particular account; router issues, malware, etc. that would affect all accounts—that it's usually easier to start with a fresh account and eliminate a number of potential issues all at once.

One person recently mentioned that they ran a malware scanner on their Mac, and it removed some adware, thereby allowing Origin to open.  I don't know any more details than that, but you could try the same.  Malwarebytes has a free 14 day trial for macOS, but since you'd only need it for one complete scan, that should be enough.

Message 17 of 22 (582 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I'm almost certain that it has to do with the Proxy Settings, one specifically called "SOCKS" since its the only one that keeps checking itself again after I uncheck it from the Proxy list. Why? I have no idea what this particular Proxy does, or why it keeps checking itself when I manually disable it every time. When I don't, thats when I notice Origin won't open.

Message 18 of 22 (578 Views)

@ximenarifai  It could be a virus or other malware; that's probably the most common cause of a proxy reenabling itself in macOS.  Malwarebytes should find and remove anything like that.

There are other apps as well that can do the same thing and aren't necessarily malware.  If Malwarebytes comes up empty, boot into safe mode and see whether the proxy is reenabled.  Let me know either way.  You probably won't be able to open Origin in safe mode, but it's a useful experiement, since most applications won't have opened on boot.

Message 19 of 22 (553 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I did a little digging and did restart my Mac on safe mode after unchecking all of the Proxies, the SOCKS Proxy was indeed turned off. I also System Preferences --> Users & Groups made a note and removed all of my Login items. Then, restarted normally, the SOCKS Proxy was turned on again, which according to the post a launch agent or daemon is the culprit. I don't know how to check which one exactly is the one responsible for it or how to remove it, but as long as a manually disable it every time before log-in into Origin ,I'm able to play. 

Here's the link to the post: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8618855 

Message 20 of 22 (537 Views)