Origin launcher crashs on start Bug detected.

by Kyle_Ragnador

Original Post

Origin launcher crashs on start Bug detected.

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

I tried to change the folder for "Star Wars:Jedi Fallen order".  And got crashes everytime i tried to launch Origin.

After some testing i found the Problem.

For example:

You use the Origin launcher Option to change the folder.

C:/ xy to transfer to D:/Games/

It start to transfer the Game to the new Folder.

-------BUT----------

If there is already a Fallen Order Copy placed with the same Folder Name. Origin crashs.  It wont tell you that the folder cannot be copied due to already existing files.

So it crashs everytime you start Origin, since it tries again to copy and crashs.

After i deleted Fallen order in the target Folder. Origin launched again and started to transfer the game.

The problem is that other people are unable to use Origin if they don't know why origin crashs. 

Message 1 of 7 (692 Views)

Re: Origin launcher crashs on start Bug detected.

Community Manager

Hey @Kyle_Ragnador, were you seeing an error message of any kind when the crash occurred?

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 7 (661 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

you only get the window to send an error report. you won't get an error message.

I had send the report clicked the "Start origin again button" and saw the same report error window again.

Restarted the PC and got the report error again.

Tried to use the thinorigin installer. installation didn't started and only showed the report error window.

Since i didn't wanted to deinstall Origin and most likely have to download everything again - i backtracked the problem.

It was the already existing folder with gamedata in it, that can't be overwritten by origin. Deleting that target folder fixed the problem.

I don't get the error anymore, but since there is a possibility that people wan't to change the gamefolder to a backup disk, where the game already was placed by an old orgin installation. there should be an function added to detect already existing folders and block this routine which makes Origin unusable. Some people are not able to find this problem on their own :D

Message 3 of 7 (653 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@EA_Darko wrote:

Hey @Kyle_Ragnador, were you seeing an error message of any kind when the crash occurred?

Darko

I rechecked the problem and was able to recreate the problem.

origin error.png

after deleting the already filled target folder it works normal again.

Message 4 of 7 (611 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I had this issue after moving two games from their install locations to another location, then i uninstalled the games from within origin, after restarting origin i then attempted to locate the copied game folders and begin the update process, this is when origin began crashing immediately.

I then started origin in offline mode (turned off my net connection), turned off automatic game updates, then turned on the net connection again, then set origin to go online (i did not restart origin). Then it started updating my moved games without a problem.

That's how i solved this issue for me.

Message 5 of 7 (591 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@mlowe082 

Thank you very much, but origin doesn't need the online mode to copy files, so forcing an offlinemode isn‘t solving that issue.

And this thread is about fixing origin or adding more information in their crash system.

Message 6 of 7 (560 Views)

★★★ Novice

So here we go again Origin. New update for launcher.

Installed - check

Going to setting's for changing cache folder - check

Doing the same for where i have my games installed - Fail

And then we have the infinite crash loop going.

So i came here to see if others had same issue. And indeed they have.

Uninstalled Origin, reinstalled it.

Did the offline trick. Since it wont instantly send the crash report, but instead get a error on what is wrong ( at least this happen'd to me this time )

To my happiness it launched no problem at all. 

Went back to settings to change folders for game and cache..

Cache folder - Check / no problem same as i always have used

Changing game folder - Will not allow me to use same damn folder i've used for years, for my games. Can not write to folder, it's write protected. Choose a new folder.   

First thing that came to my mind was what the F. is this...

So i redid it all again, this time connected to the internet. And presto crash loop.. report error 

So my theory is when you try to change folder or move game. You get the instant crash loop and error reporting of Origin, when you try to move a game or cache folder ( that is for some reason write protected and Origin cant handle that ) Even when it was made with the Origin launcher. 

And after doing this. Origin now wont even let me use ANY folder i have my games in.

And for last. this is the first time i have ever encountered this type of issue with the Origin Launcher, and changing folder's to where the games are.

I am sorry for this wall of text.

Message 7 of 7 (537 Views)