Origin is waiting for permission. Can't download any game.

by Gr3gYx101

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin is waiting for permission. Can't download any game.

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Hello!

First thing first I must clarify that I know there are a ton of cases about this one, but I went through all of them and none of them solved my issue.

Also, if you have some similar issues, try the things listed below, maybe one of these will solve your problem.

So the problem is that I can not download any games onto my PC using Origin, because I get an error: "Origin needs to download files and is waiting for permission. Please choose "Yes" when Windows prompts you for permission.", but the thing is, I don't get the Windows prompts. Also Origin is very working very badly on my PC, like when I start the application I need to wait like 1:30 mins for it to load up, and after pressing the Login button, another 1:30 mins until I can interact with the application, even though my PC is good enough to run PUBG at 60FPS for example.

Let's list the things I tried to make it work sorted from 'noob' to 'ok' lvl:

• Changing both the "Game Library" and the "Legacy game Installers" directory
  • App Settings / Diagnostics / Safe mode downloading
  • Restarting Origin
  • Starting Origin as Admin
  • Restarting PC
  • Reinstalling Origin
  • Reinstalling as Admin
  • Installing Origin onto another drive
  • Raising UAC level in Windows settings to the highest  <- this is what I assumed is the problem but it is not.
  • Deleting some "LocalContent" from program data (suggested under a same titled post on answers.ea.com)
  • Clean Booting my PC and trying to download/reinstall
  • Also tried my friends account to test if it is only my account, but no, it is something with my pc, or my origin client.
  • Also I tried to Live Chat with EA at help.ea.com/contact-us/, but even though it says "LIVE CHAT", I got nobody to chat with for like a week, so I assume that is a big LIE.

In more Detail what happens when I try to download a game:

1. Starting Origin
  2. Logging in
  3. Chosing a game through "My Game Library"
  4. Clicking the picture
  5. Pressing the big orange Download button
  6. Nothing happens for about 1:30 mins
  7. Button turns grey and text changes to "Preparing"
  8. Nothing happens for about 1:30 mins
  9. Then I get the mentioned error above: "Origin needs to download files and is waiting for permission. Please choose "Yes" when Windows prompts you for permission."

After this point sometimes I can not retry to download a game, it just says "Details" instead of "Download", until I restart Origin.

If anybody has any idea how I could make my Origin get to work, please leave a comment, I have been struggling to play SW:BattleFront 2.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 234 (39,501 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Download Issues

★★★ Newbie

1. Type CMD in Windows search bar
2. Right-click Command Prompt, select Run as administrator
3.Copy paste the below command lines one by one, and press enter:

del C:\WINDOWS\SYSWOW64\CONFIG\SYSTEMPROFILE\APPDATA\ROAMING\ORIGIN\TELEMETRY\DATA
del C:\Users{user}\AppData\Roaming\Origin\Telemetry\data

Note: The user has to input their system username in the [user] part of the second line.

View in thread

Message 185 of 234 (14,077 Views)

All Replies

Re: Origin is waiting for permission. Can't download any game.

Community Manager

@Gr3gYx101

Thanks for posting, I hope you don't mind that I reset the font in your post just for readability.

First, UAC: I think you should try setting this to the lowest (least intrusive) level and check if that has the desired effect.

Here are a couple of links to posts that are marked as a solution to this error:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Origin-needs-to-download-files/m-p/5143222#M192216

I know you have said you did a 'Clean boot' but maybe not in this way:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Unable-to-install-Origin-needs-to-download-files-and-is-w...

Do post your results here, thanks.

barry.png
Message 2 of 234 (39,429 Views)

Re: Origin is waiting for permission. Can't download any game.

★ Apprentice

@EA_Barry

Thank you for your kind response, I am not too happy that you reset the font in my post, because why is there an option for small font size if you are not "allowed" to use them because readability?

But jokes out of the way, I tried setting UAC to the lowest level as you recommended, tried to download -> fail, reinstalled, then download -> fail, reinstall+run as admin -> fail. So setting it to the highest or the lowest gave the same result.

Believe it or not, the posts you linked are posts that I all went through and none of them worked.

These are the cache files as I mentioned in the main post that I deleted, and This is the exact post that I used to 'Clean Boot' my PC.

I'm so sorry, please don't sue me, but I would like to assume something is wrong with the client itself, which should be fixed very quickly.
Do you need any attachments about my pc to check if there is something interfering with Origin?

Message 3 of 234 (39,424 Views)

Download Issues

★★★★★ Apprentice

I'm unable to download my Origin games because it asks for permission and no UAC prompt shows up. I've tried running it as Administrator and a fair few other 'solutions' but any help anyone can give would be much appreciated Standard smile

Message 4 of 234 (39,400 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@SpookehBoi@Gr3gYx101

Can both of you please post the exact version of Origin you are using via the Help, About menu, e.g. Version 10.5.8.17910 - 0

Thanks.

Additionally, posting your Dxdiag report may help too:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information/

barry.png
Message 5 of 234 (39,383 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I'm using version 10.5.8.17910 - 0 and here's my Dxdiag report

Message 6 of 234 (39,372 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

So are we gonna get some sort of response or fix? Not to be rude but its been over a week since I made my first post on this and I've had no fix or refund

Message 7 of 234 (39,323 Views)

★ Apprentice

@EA_Barry

The Origin I have installed is on "Version 10.5.8.17910 - 0", and I attached the DxDiag of my PC.

I hope, that you can work out what can actually be the problem, because it is really frustrating that I can not use an application, that is in theory working for most users.

I was planning on getting Star Wars Battlefront 2 for my Origin, but if this will not be solved, I definitely, and obviously will not buy it.

Message 8 of 234 (39,316 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I have the same problem with others 2.

What is the solution?

Please or give the previous version because working or delete forever the origin.

I can't download the games and my money for battlefront, battlefront 2 and battlefield has gone...

What the reason make one application with too many problems and why we must be master technicians to play one game???

These is not serious things but tragic.

How i will download the games i haved pay????

I have try everything.

And please dont ask me dxdiag. With olders version origin i can play the games.

Now i have do format to my pc and i have windows 10 and i cant download the game because i dont have the permission...

And with older version,again wondows 10 i had.

Message 9 of 234 (39,251 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@EA_Barry

This is absurd, can we have some sort of help? It's been over a week since this problem started and I imagine me and @Gr3gYx101 are probably getting very impatient.

Message 10 of 234 (39,266 Views)