Origin installation requires an internet connection.. even though I am online?

by MAGAMANN

Original Post

Re: Origin installation requires an internet connection.. even though I am onlin

★★★ Newbie
@MAGAMANN did the problem fixed ??
Message 11 of 25 (6,729 Views)

Re: Origin installation requires an internet connection.. even though I am onlin

★★★ Newbie

Hey folks, I'm posting this here since it seems to be related and the solution wasn't obvious.

I'm running the Windows 10 Pro 20H2 build. I received a launcher update yesterday that failed to finish the installation, popping-up a dialog stating "Origin installation requires an internet connection, but we were unable to connect to the internet." Uninstalling the Origin launcher, cleaning out all folders, and reinstalling the latest launcher gave me the same results. (I should add that my internet access was fine all this time, and I was having no trouble downloading the software.) I also checked antivirus, disabling Kaspersky and Windows Defender (which will go active the moment you disable a third-party antivirus.) No effect.

One thing that did catch my attention is that several web sites I wouldn't expect to have certificate errors were being blocked in my web browser due to expired certificates. That led me to a link describing how to force updates of your root certificate store. https://support.kaspersky.com/13727 If you search for "kaspersky root certificate" it's the top result if the link has moved.

That cleared up my Origin launcher problems immediately. The install completed and I'm able to access my games normally again.

Hopefully this will be of use to someone and save them the pain and suffering I just went through.

Message 12 of 25 (5,997 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Any help how to perform the same in Win 7?

certutil.exe -generateSSTFromWU roots.sst

This command not works  on Win 7.

Message 13 of 25 (5,900 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thanks, bro. That solve it for me. Been a longggg few days.

Message 14 of 25 (5,833 Views)

★★ Apprentice

If the ERROR Message was clearly mention that ORIGIN WEB Browser this is unable to connect?  Then all of us we would have a clue of the actual problem.

Indeed there is no documentation of how to get latest Internet certificates for your WEB browser, and it appears now that ORIGIN Web browser this uses parts of the Microsoft Internet explorer software (engine).

I have Microsoft training as Server administrator for twenty years, and now I am using Win7 PRO Retail because W10 sucks big time.

By the use of gpedit.msc (Local group policy Editor)  I had disabled automatic certificates update) because I wanted less possible active services running at my system and more free RAM.

Navigate to the following section:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Internet Communication Management > Internet Communication settings.  

Now check if .. Automatic Root certificate’s update is set to .. Not configured, if is set as enabled? Then change it back to Not configured.

Now two steps for you to do for WINDOWS all versions.

• Activate Microsoft Internet update and wait for a new scan of updates to complete. Do not select anything to install, just wait the scan to finish, and close the Microsoft Internet update window.
  • Launch Internet explorer ones, let it stay active for a minute. ( Close the damn software) I use Firefox all times.
  • Reboot and start Origin.
Message 15 of 25 (5,742 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Could you help me? I have windows 7 and dont have the "computer configeration" option. I only have google chrome downloaded... 

Message 16 of 25 (4,908 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thanks very much. Fixed the problem in the end, but the steps are a bit complicated and unfriendly for the non-tech savvy.

Message 17 of 25 (4,885 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I am trying to download origin on windows 11. It is giving me the Reinstall will fix this problem. How do I fix this?

Message 18 of 25 (4,399 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@시데카라ㅠㅠ 해결되었습니다. 최신버전이 실행 됩니다.
Message 19 of 25 (4,375 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Has it been fixed?

Message 20 of 25 (3,730 Views)