Re: Origin download is a virus?

by devilknigh71

Original Post

Origin download is a virus?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

So I just went to download Origin so I can play TS4 on my computer. When I went to open the downloaded application, my computer told me the application was downloaded from origin-a.akamaihd.net. I downloaded from the official Origin website, though, so I'm not sure why it doesn't say that instead. When I looked it up online, I saw many others says they wanted to remove it because of malware and adware. I also saw a video from this earlier year demonstrating how to download Origin onto a Mac and theirs said that the file was downloaded from www.origin.com, which is what mine should say. Did I download a virus onto my computer?

Message 1 of 3 (39,995 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@magicshoppe You might want to run a virus scan to be sure. Hackers and scammers sometimes spoof websites in order to steal your money or personal information. I always run a virus scan after downloading things off the internet.
Message 2 of 3 (39,964 Views)

@magicshoppe  Akamai is a company that hosts user-downloadable data for other companies, including for EA; the technical term is "content delivery network."  So the link is perfectly legitimate.  Origin doesn't come with malware either.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 3 of 3 (39,937 Views)