Origin doesn't launch (including work around!)

by Soulhaloo

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Origin doesn't launch (including work around!)

★★★ Novice

Hi everyone,

After going through multiple sessions of tech support to get the Origin client to launch I gave up. However I did manage to find a workaround which is not too bad. I will say it's a bit embarrassing to have serious issues with a client for a company the size of EA.

So my "symptoms" are the following:

1) I can see the Origin.exe starting and almost immediately closing down again.
2) Windows application event is not very useful as it's reporting an error on Origin.exe without any details

3) In the /Logs folder I see the following error in the Bootstrapper_Log.txt: Error Failed to load the libcurl library [last error: 126]. Just to be clear, the libcurl.dll is present in the Origin folder.

After trying about everything I could find to resolve the issue nothing has changed and it's still crashing when trying to start it normally. Worth mentioning I use a variety of game clients like Origin and never had any issues with those.

Anyways, for anyone encountering the same issue here's a workaround (I'm on Windows 10):

1) Locate your main Origin folder like C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin

2) Locate OriginWebHelperService.exe and OriginThinSetupInternal.exe

3) Run OriginWebHelperService.exe and quickly run OriginThinSetupInternal.exe right after

4) If it doesn't start up, repeat step 3 

Basically you need to be quick enough before it realises it doesn't feel like starting up :D

Hope this helps anyone in the same situation!

Message 1 of 14 (3,414 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Origin doesn't launch (including work around!)

Community Manager

@Soulhaloo Fantastic to hear that you got your issue sorted and thanks for taking the time to share your fix, hopefully, it will help others seeing similar issues.

Darko

Darko.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 14 (3,395 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@Soulhaloo Fantastic to hear that you got your issue sorted and thanks for taking the time to share your fix, hopefully, it will help others seeing similar issues.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 14 (3,396 Views)

★ Novice
I also have this issue with libcurl.dll failing to load, I will try this work around.
Message 3 of 14 (3,352 Views)

★ Novice

Just to add this workaround fixed my issue, thanks very much - how did you figure this out? Standard smile

Message 4 of 14 (3,349 Views)

★★★ Novice

Good question... I remember I thought it was odd the service could be started multiple times. So after starting the service a couple times I also clicked the other exe.

So mostly luck I’d say.

Glad this helped you!

Message 5 of 14 (3,333 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you very much, Soulhaloo!

I had this error several times and every time and every solution didn't work. The error came and came. Then I found this, and at first I was a little bit sceptical cuz nothing worked. I tried it and then the error came again. :-( 

bt then origin started and now it is working!

Thanku :-)Standard smile

Message 6 of 14 (3,235 Views)

★ Novice

This helped fix my issue!  Thank you so much! :D

Message 7 of 14 (3,194 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

You need to download and install the newest vcredist (2017, 2015 etc), you can get them from microsoft here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

Message 8 of 14 (3,099 Views)

★★★ Novice
Thank you for thinking along, but no in this particular case reinstalling the vcredist doesn't work.
Message 9 of 14 (3,072 Views)

★★ Novice

i would like to give my own solution to this error i found.

i installed libcurl dll from internet and replaced the one in origin folder and it works now

Message 10 of 14 (2,271 Views)