Origin crashes on system start-up.

by MrAcoria

Original Post

Re: Origin crashes on system start-up.

★ Apprentice

As for me, I think I'll head on over to Steam where I have a few dozen games, but no errors...

Message 71 of 115 (1,246 Views)

★★ Novice

Same problem here, it started about 2 or 3 weeks ago.  I have already uninstalled the app, cleared the cache, registry entries, reinstalled and same thing.  The app crashes and re-opens and works fine.

Message 72 of 115 (1,222 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I love how this now becomes quite a long-standing issue, but nobody on EA has taken a look into this... Honestly it's really a matter of updating Windows 10 on their developer PCs which then they will start noticing the problem...

Message 73 of 115 (1,199 Views)

★ Novice
@MrAcoria Same here. I tried absolutely everything.
Message 74 of 115 (1,180 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Xcoo0l Same here, it's a shame!
Message 75 of 115 (1,145 Views)

★ Apprentice

It's also a shame that this very specific, very definable, very consistent Origin Client flaw -error - bug - whatever you want to call it - has been going on for over 2 weeks now without an intelligent response from support. They only responses I've seen from support are along the lines that "it's not their fault, so it must be yours". 

Due to the timing of this trouble, I suspect that this issue first manifested after one of their mandatory client updates. HOWEVER, since part of support's "troubleshooting" steps include wiping all cache, logs, etc. and reinstalling, any revision history on a PC is also gone. Eliminate the evidence, and then nobody can prove it's Origin's fault. Smart. Devious. IRRESPONSIBLE!!!

Please, if someone who has this issue reads this and has NOT wiped their Origin data yet, please consider looking through your Origin files to see if there is a revision upgrade that coincides with the start of your Origin Client crashes. (Not that it will really help - because of what I said last paragraph).

But if there is some hard data to be found and can be posted it here, maybe at least some of us will find a bit of satisfaction by throwing a "crash pie" in Support's face...

Message 76 of 115 (1,109 Views)

★ Apprentice

I found a note that the current Origin Client release version (10.5.67) is dated March 31, 2020 - somewhere are the time that this issue started.

For me, I had no issues with Origin, no crashes, no errors, etc. before  the update.  I had been re-playing MEA up until that timeframe - error free. I wish I had noticed whether or not it coincided exactly with the Origin Client update.

That said, this I KNOW:

With Origin Client Automatic Start enabled -

version 10.5.66 - no errors

version 10.5.67 (and the 10.5.68 beta) - consistent Origin Client crash at EVERY startup...

you do the math...

Message 77 of 115 (1,089 Views)

★ Apprentice

Just curious - has anyone actually experienced a "fix" by support - other than just citing a link to you that you could have found yourself if you knew what to specifically look for?

Message 78 of 115 (1,077 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I was having this issue. Removing and renstalling the client did not fix it. What ultimately fixed it for me was selecting the option to download rather than locate existing game folders. It seems to be some kind of Windows 10 permissions crap. When I chose the download option it validated the files for installed games already downloaded and never crashed any more.

You can go into the AppData folder for your Windows user account and delete everything in the Origin folder. Reopen Origin, then select download. Be sure to first check your settings and modify the game installation path first if you are not using the default. Restart Origin client after changing that before you begin downloading.

Message 79 of 115 (981 Views)

★★★ Novice

Took this from another post fixed all my problems

This worked for me, I got it from another post, on here and am just re-posting in case others haven't seen it.

1. Close Origin and services processes (OriginWebHelperService.exe и OriginClientService.exe).

2. Delete all files in 2 folders

"C:\ProgramData\Electronic Arts\EA Services\License"

"C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Local\Electronic Arts\EA Services\License"

3. Start Origin again

Message 80 of 115 (911 Views)