Re: Origin crashes on system start-up.

by tweetatoo

Original Post

★★★ Novice

@luv2speed wrote:

@ThaT_GuY_n3iL Thx for sharing. It seems that some of the other victims are reporting that it started happening around the March 31 Origin Client update. 

Here's a simple "logic" statement:

IF

Before the Origin Client update = no trouble on automatic start

AND

After the Origin Client update = Origin Client crashes on automatic start

AND

No simultaneous changes were made on user's systems

THEN

The cause of the crash = Bad code in the Origin Client update

ENDIF 

Yes, this started happening upon the last origin update.  My pc and my sons pc do the same.  As soon as I restart origin, it  runs fine all day.

Message 101 of 115 (1,676 Views)

★★★ Novice

Same thing here 

Message 102 of 115 (1,618 Views)

★ Novice

Me too

Message 103 of 115 (1,459 Views)

★★ Novice

Actually, after some checking origin crashes if is started minimized (as is the case when you start origin at windows startup ). I believe EA doesn't like us because we don't want to watch a big splash of ads at windows startup.And if you ask them how to start origin minimized , guess what they will answear....Let me give you a hint, right click the origin shortcut, select properties, and you will find there an option to startthe origin minimized.And guess what....it will crash !!!!!!!!!

Message 104 of 115 (1,367 Views)

★★ Novice

Ok, I think all cache clean, reinstall etc will not work.

I tested some commands, you can found auto start commmand on registry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\EADM

C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin\Origin.exe -AutoStart

So, I used HEX editor to read origin exe file, and I got some commands

StartClientMinimized
StartClientMaximized

StartMinimized

Origin_MultipleInstances

Silent Launching

StartOffline

etc

So, -StartClientMaximized works fine, -StartMinimized not working.

But I found -StartClientMinimized, and I thought autostart and minimized will work at "same" way, and yes, both dies.

So, my conclusion is splash screen (Connecting to Origin) is making origin autostart fail.

If you want origin at startup go to regedit, navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\EADM and delete -autostart

Origin will start windowed mode, but will work. It's a temporary solution.

Message 105 of 115 (1,354 Views)

★★★ Expert
@cdcr1985 Sounds logical!
Message 106 of 115 (1,306 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

So today a new Origin Client update was released (Version 10.5.69.40136 - 761032) and this update seems to bring some hope! I can confirm, that there has been no crashes yet since the update was installed.

I am really anyways still disappointed, as Origin did not respond to this issue at all. It is really annoying that they have poorly educated personnel in their customer service, that they always and almost directly announce, that the problems are either because the servers are down (which are indeed almost all the time) or because of our "faulty" PCs! I cannot believe, that the Origin Client is still not optimized for high DPI displays, that the text is always annoyingly blurry and what annoyed me at most was the response of one of EA moderators in the community, that "if the issue exists there should be multiple reports of the issue" in the time there was indeed multiple posts posted for the issue!

Origin is still way to move forward to become at the level of Steam or Epic launchers!

So guys try to update origin and tell us if the update helped you as well!

Message 107 of 115 (1,211 Views)

★★★ Expert

Just installed the new origin update , and regarding the automatically crash on start can confirm the issue has been solved. Although it didn't opened maximized. 

So I maximized the screen and restarted again. After a few restarts still no crash. Think this is solved now. 

Message 108 of 115 (1,186 Views)

★★★ Novice

New update did fix this.  I logged on this morning and no crash report.

Message 109 of 115 (1,147 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Took them a month, but better late than never I guess? No more startup crashes, at least for now.

Message 110 of 115 (1,114 Views)