Re: Origin crashes after locating game

by dobermaxx

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I 100% agree with you. Origin launcher is the sh¡ttiest launcher I have used. Even worse than Epic launcher.

Message 51 of 96 (1,648 Views)

★ Novice
@EA_Darko This download method works than using the locate game method. Thanks.
Message 52 of 96 (1,622 Views)

Community Manager

Glad to hear that it's working for you @TacticalCommandr.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 53 of 96 (1,612 Views)

★★★ Newbie

luckily i made a backup before trying this, Origin just looked at the files i moved and overrode them anyway with masseffect 3. i had to buy a new hard drive, every service but origin and the widows store i was able to pull the games from my back up drive,  at least origin not crashing in a loop anymore.   

update it's now saying i don't own any of the dlc even the free dlc.

Message 54 of 96 (1,603 Views)

★★★ Newbie

When I did the method stated in this thread, Origin used the same game folder but instead of overriding the files, it just added on to them with the same files, so the folder is now double in size. 

Message 55 of 96 (1,593 Views)

Dot.: Origin crashes after locating game

★ Novice
@ceronePL thank you Standard smile
Message 56 of 96 (1,532 Views)

Rif.: Origin crashes after locating game

★★★ Novice

Sometimes, If you are quick enough, you can stop the crashing loop by selecting the updating game in the bottom left corner and quickly cancel it as soon as Origin loads. This is actually nothing important because you can just reinstall the client as easly and follow the proper steps mentioned above.

Message 57 of 96 (1,437 Views)

★ Apprentice

We shouldn't have to do this in order for this to work. Locating a game should just work. EA needs to get on the ball if they want to release a new launcher. Epic sucks with this issue even more since they don't even have an option to locate game files. This is why Steam is beating the crap out of every one of these launchers. You can locate, move and do whatever the hell you want with those files. If this post is old (since they didn't feel the need to put anything other than a month on their forum) then damn..but I've only recently been having this issue so maybe it's not.
Anyways, thanks to @EA_Darko  for a fix at least. But still.. fix the actual problem lol..

Message 58 of 96 (1,337 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

This older version is working today, Nov. 8, 2020.

Spoiler

A big THANK YOU! to the peeps that archive or keep tabs on "old'er' versions"

My Issue:

Pre-Ordered ME1 Collectors Edition (Disk (CD/DVD) Install to "D:\Mass Effect")

Played fine for a long while.

Pre-Ordered ME2 Col. Ed. (Disk (CD/DVD) Installed to "D:\Mass Effect 2")

Pre-Ordered SWtOR Coll. Ed. (Disk (CD/DVD) Installed to "D:\Star Wars-The Old Republic")

Let's try Origin since it's being forced on me... (some of you may remember that)

Headaches ever since.

Origin doesn't respect ESTABLISHED and ACCEPTED installation conventions older than half or more of the CodeMonkeys that codded Origin.

Origin doesn't respect that some/many users don't want the asinine directory structures used more and more by Origin and 'others'.

example: "D:\Game" vs. "D:\Origin\Legacy Installers\cache\game installer" + "D:\Origin Games\Game".  (D:\Game\ISO\game.iso is my preference)

And now recently, after manually locating one of my previously working games, crash loops while finding/verifying...

And no longer do I have the option to 'find the install' for SWtOR...lmfao.

I think you've succeeded in overly complicating stuff to where you've broken it by trying to be clever.

Message 59 of 96 (1,249 Views)

★★ Novice

Does not work.. still downloads like 20GB of data...-_-

Message 60 of 96 (1,145 Views)