Re: Origin constantly reading hard drive

by yahel_1

Original Post

Origin constantly reading hard drive

★ Apprentice

Not a big issue but still irritates me. A couple updates ago, I noticed that when I log in to Origin, I get constant hard drive activity evident by my computer’s HDD light (and Task Manager). This continues however long until I sign out of Origin.

Wondering if anyone else has noticed this or know of a fix. Thanks.

Message 1 of 20 (2,415 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Hi @TheRupturer 

I didn't have this issue, but as far as I know, if you update the operating system (if you have windows 10), your problem is solved mate. but as a safety measure it should to delete temp files( open the Start Menu and type %temp%  in the Search field  or click in the Run option in the Start Menu and type %temp% in the Run field.Press Enter and a Temp folder should open. You can delete all files found in this folder, and if any files are in use, they can be skipped) and maybe you need to perform a Clean Boot https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/FAQ/how-to-clean-boot-your-pc/ and

-yahel_1

Retired champion.
Message 2 of 20 (2,398 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

(sorry my english is not very) Yes, I noticed this issue since February 1, when the wave of Origin updates began (in which they deleted the VoIP voice chat service) and this issue still exists 14.02.2020. A strange hard drive activity appears when Origin is running (10%-14% disk usage, about 150 KB/s Write speed in Task Manager). I also noticed that scrolling of pages in Origin became not smooth as before. I tried turning on / off all the toggle switches in the Application Settings - it did not help, I even reinstalled Origin - the same strange disk usage. And then somehow I tried to "Go Offline" "Offline Mode" and oh magic - this strange disk usage is gone. But in offline mode you cannot play online games. if this problem is not just me, it means there are problems with Origin and developers should pay more attention to this problem. My OS: Windows 8.1 64bit

Message 3 of 20 (2,374 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I attached a couple of screenshots, for clarity of the problem. Just wondering EA confirms this issue or not? and working on fixing it?

1.png2.png

Message 4 of 20 (2,286 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice
Any of the Community managers please answer, have you read this topic? just to know. Did you pass this information on to your Dev team?
Message 5 of 20 (2,258 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Hello, anybody home? can anyone from Community Managers answer me here on my last post?

Message 6 of 20 (2,237 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
Hello, is anybody home?.............Community Managers
Message 7 of 20 (2,215 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
Hello, anybody home?
Message 8 of 20 (2,186 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
after a recent update origin still has strange hard drive activity LOL, when you finally fix this?
Message 9 of 20 (2,161 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Expert

Hi @Oleg_HQ 

You followed the steps above indicated by me Wondering?.. because otherwise you would like to find a solution, rather than eliminating the causes one by one.

I also had windows 8.1 is a good operating system but far from perfect,if you understand what I'm saying mate.

Hard drive activity isn't a cause for alarm, but if you're also experiencing sudden system slowness, crashing, freezing or suspicious pop-up messages, the activity could be the work of a virus. If you're concerned, run a full virus scan to check for threats.

- yahel_1

Retired champion.
Message 10 of 20 (2,124 Views)