Re: Origin causing 'rhythmic' PC noises

by EA_Kent

Original Post

Origin causing 'rhythmic' PC noises

★★★ Novice

Hi.

Whenever I have Origin open, my PC constantly makes a sound like it's briefly accessing the hard drive. It's a very short sound but happens every second, like the ticking of a clock. The moment I exit Origin, the sound stops, and when I start it up again the sound resumes. I thought maybe it was just updating something, but I tried playing the Sims for just under an hour before I got fed up with the endless 'ticking' and stopped playing.

Anyone know what might be causing this?

Message 1 of 5 (574 Views)

Community Manager

Hi @CrispyTime

That's a pretty strange one. Have you tried clearing out your Origin cache to see if that makes any difference at all? If there is a problem with the client's cached data that's causing it to continue trying to read/write something that might help to fix the issue. For more information on how to clear it check out the EA Help website

Let me know how that goes once you've had the chance to give it a shot. Thanks!

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 2 of 5 (554 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for replying, I cleared the cache like the guide says but it made no difference. I went ahead and did a hard reinstall of the client, twice, but even on a fresh install the noise keeps happening.

Origin is the only program on my computer that is causing this issue, and everything was just fine until today so I'm stumped. :c

Message 3 of 5 (546 Views)

★★★ Novice

After doing a bit of searching I came across this thread: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin-Client-Web-Technical/Origin-constantly-reading-hard-drive/td-p/8746... which a commenter mentions they had a similar issue and entering Offline Mode solves it. So I gave it a try and, what do you know, no more disk reading. Far from an ideal solution but it's better than nothing I guess.

So if it's not just me having this problem maybe it's worth looking into?

Message 4 of 5 (539 Views)
Highlighted

Community Manager

@CrispyTime 

Thank you for following up! I appreciate the information. Thumbs up

/Kent

Kent.png
Message 5 of 5 (507 Views)