Re: Origin cant choose install location

by CndnCorgi

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

Hey guys, I found another solution, if anyone's curious. One one of my hard drives, I made a folder for Origin titled Origin. What I didn't know is that Origin looks for a specific folder name, in my case, "Origin Games", so I went to another drive where it was trying to install to, and copied the Origin Games folder (its empty for me, cause I just started using it) and pasted it inside the Origin folder in my first drive. Hopefully that wasn't confusing.

Message 11 of 20 (2,628 Views)

★ Novice

Seriously dude TurtleBouy your solution worked for me. Thanks man!

Message 12 of 20 (2,580 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am running OS X Catalina (10.15.2) and the option doesn't even click and the Origin application freezes. I just want to install a game to my external drive because my mac doesn't have enough internal storage. I have to Force Quit the app to get it to run, yet it ran fine on my old mac (It could only run up to El Capitan)

Message 13 of 20 (2,253 Views)

@Fir3Fly1995  Run the Origin reset tool:

https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/

and then try this:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/Can-t-change-install-location-on-Mac-OS-Catalina/td-p...

If the line in the file doesn't exist, you'll need to add it yourself.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 14 of 20 (2,244 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@puzzlezaddict I tried the full combo. That was fine so I removed enough data for the game to fit on my drive and it still won’t install. I have 54GB of free space and it needs 15GB of space and is demanding 1.9GB of space. I have requested a refund and deleted Origin from my Mac. If anyone is able to help me out, then I would appreciate it and will cancel the refund and my displeasure of Origin.
Message 15 of 20 (2,237 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i know its been years since u posted but wanted to say thanks just helped me alot

Message 16 of 20 (2,084 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Should I do it with all of the files in my computer or just the program files (x86)?

Message 17 of 20 (1,948 Views)

★ Novice

it works

Spoiler

Message 18 of 20 (1,738 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@TurtleBouy This was the solution for me! Thanks!
Message 19 of 20 (1,059 Views)

★★ Novice
@simmerTJtheGreat This worked for me, just check the folder and sub folders have read/write access.
Message 20 of 20 (759 Views)