Re: 'Origin cannot locate games in a root directory'...

by EA_Darko

Original Post

Accepted Solution

'Origin cannot locate games in a root directory'...

★★★ Newbie

When Apex Legends came to Steam few days ago, I started playing it on Steam.

Before, the game was saved in: D:/.../Apex

Now It's saved in D:/.../Steam/steamapps/common/Apex Legends

As I still want to be able to play it on Origin I went to 'My Game Library' -> Apex Legends -> 'Settings' -> 'Locate Game'; but when i select the folder (D:/.../Steam/steamapps/common/Apex Legends) Origin says 'Origin cannot locate games in a root directory. Please select a folder and try again.'

After that I tried to download AL through Origin into same folder but Origin always makes subfolder 'Apex' in any directory I choose.

1. The hell is this 'Origin cannot locate games in a root directory. Please select a folder and try again.' ?

2. How can I stop Origin from automatically creating subfolders ?

Message 1 of 16 (21,496 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Newbie
@JayKaBee44 to everyone that are still having this error ... just change the "Apex Legends" Steam folder name to just "Apex"(if u wanna play with both launchers just create another copy of Apex Legends folder somewhere else beside the steam library and then change the name) , then go ahead and locate the Apex folder on origin.

View in thread

Message 5 of 16 (19,222 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @RealXebian if you wish to play APEX Legends on both Steam and Origin then you would need to have it downloaded and installed from both.

You cannot direct your Origin to the Steam files or vice versa in order to play the game, to have it through both you would need two installations of the game.

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 2 of 16 (21,437 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks @EA_Darko, but not what I was asking...

@RealXebian wrote:

1. The hell is this 'Origin cannot locate games in a root directory. Please select a folder and try again.' ?

2. How can I stop Origin from automatically creating subfolders ?

Message 3 of 16 (21,419 Views)

★★★ Newbie

That’s about as smart as not letting us have all the * we bought on console when we switch to PC or vice versa. Companies should be making it easier to play their games on multiple platforms not harder. Who is gonna install the game twice, guess I just use it on Steam.

Message 4 of 16 (20,234 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@JayKaBee44 to everyone that are still having this error ... just change the "Apex Legends" Steam folder name to just "Apex"(if u wanna play with both launchers just create another copy of Apex Legends folder somewhere else beside the steam library and then change the name) , then go ahead and locate the Apex folder on origin.
Message 5 of 16 (19,223 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@Prometheusz78 thank you this worked
Message 6 of 16 (19,106 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Thank you very much. Such a simple solution to a stupid problem.

Message 7 of 16 (18,149 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Prometheusz78 bro tysm haha, it worked
Message 8 of 16 (16,068 Views)

★★ Novice
@Prometheusz78 a real hero ea support sucks to the max
Message 9 of 16 (14,182 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Prometheusz78 Tried this but it just goes through verifying the files then says download anyway and grays out the option to locate.
Message 10 of 16 (11,831 Views)