Re: Origin app won't open on Mac

by puzzlezaddict

Original Post

Origin app won't open on Mac

★★★ Newbie

It says "'Origin' can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information." What do I do?

Message 41 of 82 (616 Views)
Highlighted

Re: Origin app won't open on Mac

@charisyoga  Right-click (or hold down crtl and click) on the Origin icon and select Open.  You'll still get a message about Apple not being able to check for malicious software, but you should be able to choose to open it anyway.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 42 of 82 (588 Views)

I just downloaded origin on my mac, and it's saying the game needs to be updated

★★★ Newbie

So I downloaded origin on my mac and it's saying that Apple can't check for malicious content and that origin needs to be updated. Any idea what i can do?

Message 43 of 82 (562 Views)

Re: I just downloaded origin on my mac, and it's saying the game needs to be upd

@Adam1Y  Right-click (or hold the crtl key and click) on the Origin download, and select Open.  You'll still get a message that Apple can't check it for malicious software, but you should have the option to open it anyway.

Message 44 of 82 (540 Views)

Cannot Launch Origin on Mac

★★★ Newbie

I have the new MacBook Air, and when I try to launch origin after I've installed it, this message pops up: 'origin cannot be opened because apple cannot check for malicious software'. How do I fix this?

Message 45 of 82 (575 Views)

Re: Cannot Launch Origin on Mac

@ellasorensen  Right-click (or hold down the  crtl key and click) on the Origin icon and select Open.  You'll still get a mesage about Apple not being able to check for malicious software, but you should have the option to open it anyway.

Message 46 of 82 (556 Views)

Origin isn't downloading

★ Novice

Hi, I am trying to download Origin onto my MacBook. I bought it in 2016 and it is fully updated to the latest versions. I had it installed and downloaded all my sims games and bought 3 more expansions. After doing so when I played it would save and never save after I came back, I noticed it was laggy and slow. I googled and saw that I probably needed to uninstall and reinstall the app. I uninstall and try to reinstall it. My MacBook refuses to open or install it, saying that it could have malware? I've never experienced this problem. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Message 47 of 82 (702 Views)

Re: Origin isn't downloading

@lorettamichele97  Does it say Apple can't check Origin for malicious software?  If so, right-click on the Origin download and select Open.  You'll still get the warning, but you should be able to open it anyway.

By the way, the warning is because EA didn't get Origin notarized by Apple, so Catalina's security settings are blocking it as an unverified app.  Origin itself is not malware or contaminated by malware.

Message 48 of 82 (697 Views)

★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict I'm still not able to open it. There isn't an option to open at all.
Message 49 of 82 (685 Views)

@lorettamichele97  Are you using an admin account on your Mac?  If not, then open that account or get the admin of the computer to do it.  Otherwise, please post a screenshot of what you see when you right-click, and another of the error.  I should have said before, but if you don't have the right-click function, you can hold down the crtl-key and click.

Message 50 of 82 (674 Views)