Re: Origin app crashes upon launch in Mac OS X Yosemite

by SnoQueen_Elsa

Original Post

★★ Novice

I'm happy to see that I'm not crazy. I recently decided to start playing Sims 3 on my Macbook Pro. I did the update to Yosemite and my game was crashing, then after unistalling the games; my  game started saying that there was a disc authorization issue. I was told to install origin and re download my games but, that still didn't work for me....I was able to play my games within the week but I still receieved a message stating the game was crashing.

After countinous phone calls and chats with E.A., no help and E.A. giving me instructions for an earlier MAC operating system; I'm now going almost a month with the same issues and no assistance from E.A. I 'm happy to see that others are having issues. 

I'm trying to file a formal complaint and when I do I will post the information on this Thread!

As consumers of their technological  products, Why aren't they trying to respond or solve the issue? Why the radio silence? 

I'll post the info soon : )

@arcoar_or wrote:

I know there have been similar threads about the app failing to install based on security settings (http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/Origin-download-error-in-OS-X-Yosemite/m-p/3222649/highlight/true#M6... but in my case, I followed the solution and installed the Origin app. Now it crashes immediately upon launch. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks.

Message 61 of 184 (21,435 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

great nils! after following the instructions to reset the origin client and installing the new origin client, nothing is working anymore. origin clients crashes after launch. also my workaround (preselect the games tab via the config xml) from a previous post in this thread do not work anymore. congrats!

p.s. this time the origin clients crashes before the login is shown. workaround: 1. create a new system user 2. start orgin client and login, select the save password option 3. in the configurations preselect the games tab 3. close origin client and copy Application Support/Origin from the new system user to the original user 4. start the origin client with the original user and enjoy.

Message 62 of 184 (21,429 Views)

★★ Novice

I tried your app and it did not work.  Same result.  It crashes at the login window.  I also saved the origin_info.txt file from the terminal before I ran the tool, as requested.  

Message 63 of 184 (21,407 Views)

Community Manager

@ericeng2012 @M7v9M @webhead_93 @LikeaMayor  Hello everyone,

Our engineers are still looking into this and noticed that for some of the crashes, it appeared to be related to an outdated Flash Plugin.

Do any of you guys have the Flash player installed by chance?

If so, please try either

Thank you all for for checking in advance!

Cheers,

Nils

Message 64 of 184 (21,362 Views)

★★ Novice

Flash is not the issue for me, updated just in case, didn't work, then tried unistalling it, and still no go.

Message 65 of 184 (21,351 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Thanks for checking so quickly!

Similarly, there are two other plugins that cause frequent crashing in our telemetry:

It appears that a number of people are crashing due to Facebook Photo Updater, an old Facebook plugin (fbplugin_1_0_3.plugin) that seems to have caused problems for other browsers as well. Here’s a thread about it on Mozilla: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1086977

We are looking at options to stop the Origin Mac Client from loading this plugin but until then the easiest way to address this would be by manually deleting the plugin. Here are the steps on how to do it from the Finder:

1. In the Finder, select “Go to Folder…” in the “Go” menu.
  2. When prompted for “Go to the folder:”, enter “~/Library/Internet Plug-ins” (without the quotation marks).
  3. Look for a plugin beginning with “fbplugin” and select it.
  4. Select “Move to trash” in the “File” menu.
  5. Again, select “Go to Folder…” in the “Go” menu.
  6. When prompted for “Go to the folder:”, enter “/Library/Internet Plug-ins” (without the quotation marks) - similar to before but without the ~ (tilde) character.
  7. Look for a plugin beginning with “fbplugin” and select it.
  8. Select “Move to trash” in the “File” menu.
  9. Try starting Origin and see if it no longer crashes.

Another plugin whose older versions may be problematic is the DirectorShockwave.plugin - update to the most recent version if you have it installed.

Message 66 of 184 (28,199 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I had this problem too... talked to customer service, and they just told me to uninstall and reinstall. It did not work and I was angry.

This message was originally an angry one.

But I did the removing the fb plug-in that was mentioned above, and it worked. Thank you to EA Nils for posting that. I hope it works for you guys too.

However, EA, may I suggest something? Have your game advisors tell everyone to do that, not just tell them the same solution that doesn't work over and over.

Message 67 of 184 (21,297 Views)

Community Manager
Hi Elsa, as you can see from the previous messages in the thread, there doesn't appear to be a singular cause for this issue. We are still trying to track down the plugin ourselves to analyze what it does and how that leads to the crashing.

Regarding the feedback about informing the Game Advisors, they are usually updated as soon as we can say with confidence that a step resolves an issue.
Message 68 of 184 (21,283 Views)

★★★ Novice

I'm glad to hear you guys are on the issue though. Getting rid of that Facebook plug in solved the problem for me, and again, thank you so much for posting how to get rid of that. You just ended weeks of frustration for me. However, I hope you guys can fix it soon for the other people who are still having issues. Again, thank you. Standard smile

Message 69 of 184 (21,281 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Just logged in to say the Facebook plugin thing apparently worked for me too.

Wanted to thank Neil for the feedback and always prompt responses to our requests and suggestions (let alone complaints! :D)

Cheers,

a.

Message 70 of 184 (21,236 Views)