Re: Origin app crashes upon launch in Mac OS X Yosemite

by sarahfelldown

Original Post

★ Apprentice
We're all still experiencing the problem. Whether editing the code or not. Come. On.
Message 51 of 184 (1,846 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I just bought SimCity, and I can't even download it because I'm unable to start the Origin app on my Mac!

As soon as I agree to Terms and Agreements, the app asks for user name and password and just hangs there. Rainbow wheel is there indicating the app is unresponsive. I looked at Activity Monitor and indeed it says it's unresponsive and the number of hangs reported in increasing every 5 seconds.

Message 52 of 184 (1,836 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks everyone for the help with the crash codes so far! If anyone else would be able to assist, this is what we are looking for: 

Press Command-Shift-G to open the prompt and type:

~/Library/Application Support/Origin/Logs/

Now open the Client_Log.txt and post the the crash code you can see. It should look similar to this:

60 Dec 16 21:59:04.366 Event Notify 2955522048Crash Code: 0b5

Thank you very much for looking that up for us in advance!

Message 53 of 184 (1,827 Views)

★★★ Newbie

This solution did not work for me. So I decided to have SimCity refunded (I had just bought it but was unable to install it because of the issues with the Origin app on my Mac, after hours of trying).

The refund process was simple and very quick, so at least that part works well!

Message 54 of 184 (1,812 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@bproulx05 @sarahfelldown @187_Smok3r @ericeng2012 @paulmredsox @KonnectAM @ukika2000 @piermariosalvini @webhead_93 @esherrill 

Heya everyone,

Thank you all for your patience. After the investigation by the team based on the error codes, all evidence points towards an issue with permissions.

The Origin Team has created a tool that you can use to fully reset your Origin installation on your Mac. 

Please check out the article with the link to the tool and instructions here: http://help.ea.com/en/article/origin-crashes-on-mac-yosemite/

Note: If any of you would consider themselves as an advanced user, we would greatly appreciate if you could help us out with the below, prior to running the tool.

Go to the Terminal app, enter the following commands:

ls -al ~ > ~/origin_info.txt
ls -alR ~/Library/Application\ Support/Origin/ >> ~/origin_info.txt

Next post here that you have the origin_info.txt file saved and I will send you a PM on how to pass that file on to us. Of course you can proceed with running the aforementioned tool now.

Let me know how it all goes.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 55 of 184 (1,763 Views)

Message 56 of 184 (1,761 Views)

Message 57 of 184 (1,758 Views)

★★ Novice

Alright, downloaded and ran the ResetOrigin app, then downloaded the lastest Origin. Installed and same issue persists. Still no luck.

Message 58 of 184 (1,751 Views)

★★★ Novice

I just followed the instructions, cleared and redownloaded/reinstalled Origin and it still crashes upon lauch. Problem is not solved. 

Message 59 of 184 (1,742 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

@webhead_93 @LikeaMayor Thank you for checking and reporting back.

I have sent you a PM with further instructions if you are willing to gather more info for us.

Cheers,

Nils

Message 60 of 184 (1,741 Views)