Re: Origin app crashes upon launch in Mac OS X Yosemite

by M7v9M

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

first of all, thanx to oscarcandersson - this worked for me and saved my evening!

to avoid handling with two users, i tried in addition

4. mv /Users/[my_user]/Library/Application\ Support/Origin /Users/[my_user]/Library/Application\ Support/Origin.orig

5. sudo cp -r /Users/[temp_user]/Library/Application\ Support/Origin  /Users/[my_user]/Library/Application\ Support/

6. sudo chown -R  [my_user]Confusedtaff /Users/[my_user]/Library/Application\ Support/Origin

[warning: no warranty - know what you do, when you execute these commands]

orgin launches now also for my primary user... can someone confirm?

Message 21 of 184 (2,642 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Sorry, it didn't work for me.  I checked ownership of all files and folders and they are rwx on all for the correct username and group.  For me, the Origin App is launching and I'm able to start Dragon Age II but as soon as I try to enter a transition, like moving from one area to another it freezes. I thought it might crash or give me some useful information but I left it running for over an hour and it was just frozen on the same scene.  I've started a new character, restored from an older backup and saved game and it does the same thing.  DA2 is not much fun for me anymore unforunately.  Back to Skyrim for me on my PC! 

Message 22 of 184 (2,631 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice
Stavros501, you have another problem: in our case the origin client crashes immediatly / a few seconds after launch, before we even start a game..

Further analyzes shown, that the problem only exists under the tab "store" and not under the tab "my games" (copying the Application Support/Origin from temp_user to my_user worked for me, because i pre-selected the tab "my games" in the origin preferences before i did the copy). A quick look into the files under Application Support/Origin shown, the pre-selection is stored in a file named local_ab12cd34ef56gh78ij90.xml (the number may be different on your systems): add or change the attribute "DefaultTab" as followed

<Setting key="DefaultTab" value="mygames" type="10"/>

and the origin client should start. If you select the tab "store" after the succesful launch, the origin client will crash again... i am still wondering, why this problem under the tab "my games" only for existing operation system users exists. If i get more informations, i will post again.
Message 23 of 184 (2,620 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yup, that worked for me.

I had to add the new string into the XML but it launches fine now and can be repeatedly crashing by accessing the store.

Thanks!

Message 24 of 184 (2,505 Views)

★★★ Novice

That totally worked for me. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to unhide my Library directory in my user's folder, but once that was done it was a quick fix. Thanks! I can't belive Origin can fix the app yet. 

Message 25 of 184 (2,488 Views)

★★★ Novice

Tried the new user fix, however it unfortunately did not work for me. Just saw this post too after contacting both EA games and Apple support; both said that they were unaware of the problem too. Guess I will try running the game of my external hard drive with an old back up of mavericks. 

Message 26 of 184 (2,443 Views)

★★★ Novice

Oh and also, I do not have a DAO application support file and IDK why either.

Message 27 of 184 (2,443 Views)

★★★ Novice

Seems to be a Cider error because the cider terminal comes up with many errors 

Message 28 of 184 (2,440 Views)

★★★ Novice

Futher research leads me to believe its the C_Drive that Yosemite is causing issues with. The Cider errors seem to confirm that the errors are from the C_Drive such as audio and etc

Message 29 of 184 (2,439 Views)

★★ Novice

I tried the fix posted before with no luck. I also tried to reinstall my Sims 3 after clearing 100% of all Sims-related data from my computer. It stalls at "Installation Confirmation" with the application no longer running. This is beyond frustrating that EA has no response since the issue has clearly been around for a while.

Message 30 of 184 (2,434 Views)