Re: Origin app crashes upon launch in Mac OS X Yosemite

by oscarcandersson

Original Post

★★★ Novice

Do you have an ETA on it? It is frustrating when you keep your customers in the dark. 

Message 11 of 184 (4,679 Views)

★★★ Novice

The Origin app is still broke on Yosemite. We haven't been able to play SimCity for weeks and you haven't posted any insights into what is going on or when you hope to fix the issue.

Message 12 of 184 (4,604 Views)

★★★ Novice

yes, this is ridiculous 

Message 13 of 184 (4,594 Views)

★★★ Novice

hello??? is this ever going to be fixed? if not, i think all mac customers deserve refunds for any game that can only run through origin. This is the worst customer service i have ever dealt with.

Message 14 of 184 (4,553 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I have the same problem. Bought the Simcity 2013 today. Was informed in Origin ones I was about to download the game that I needed a newer version of OS X in order for the game to be working. Said and done. Downloaded and installed OS X Yosemite, Version 10.10.

Result: As soon as I launch origin it crasches!!!

EA, when will this issue be resolved? I will give you a couple of days, then I will demand a refund of my game purschase!

Message 15 of 184 (4,539 Views)

★★ Novice

this has been happenig since July? I just upgraded to yosemite 2 days ago and now have the same issue people have been complaining about since July? Come one....there should be a fix by now. that is ridiculous customer service for Mac users.

Message 16 of 184 (4,526 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

WELL. I just purchased SimCity and Origin yesterday having no idea about this problem. I wish I had done a simple google search first and saved my money because it appears now I can't use the product. Of course refunds need to be issued.

Message 17 of 184 (4,513 Views)

★★★ Newbie

yeaaaa i just tried to play BF4 and everytime i launch... BANG... heaping pile of disappointment. EA I thought we had something special.

Message 18 of 184 (4,499 Views)

★★ Novice

Try to create a new admin user and launch it from there, worked fine for me =)

You can find the informaton how to do this here https://support.apple.com/kb/ph6651

Message 19 of 184 (4,467 Views)

★★ Novice

Okay, so my problem is solved. Unfortunate that I should feel the need to inforn you all about it and not EA directly. 

Anyway, the solution is:

1. Be sure you have the latest version of Origin.

2. You need to create a new user in your mac.

2.1 Go to "System settings"

2.2 Go to "Users & Groups"

2.3 Press "+" to create a new user
2.4 Choose the new user to be an Administrator user, not standard.

3. Log in with your new user and it should work. At least it did for me.

Good luck!

Ps. Obviously not a well handled problem when you need to create a new user in order for a simple application to work!!! Especially not since there is no information about it and I needed to call them twice in order to get this information by phone after put on hold while they consulted with technicians while I waited.

Message 20 of 184 (4,466 Views)