Origin Update or Install - Error 9:0

by asthmatic_kitty

Original Post

Re: Can't update Origin. Error Code 9.0

★ Novice

After all the useless posts I found here, nothing really worked.

Luckily for me I know how to troubleshoot since this is what I do for a living so I'm going to give some feedback.

So I traced back what I did for this error to appear, simply starting Battlefield 1. Origin had to update, error code 9.

I started following the guides to clear all caches from both AppData and ProgramData. Came across a problem with deleting one of the files, a log file for battlefield was still in use. Couldn't be deleted because it was in use by Battlefield 1. Since I know this log file is insignificant I ignored it. I still could not update Origin.

After that I started taskmanager to see if there were any processes still running related to origin, nothing. However I did notice my RAM usage was at 43% which I thought was really strange for my idle system which is usually around only 8 or 9%. Turns out Battlefield 1 was running as a ghost process unkillable because it was not listed in the taskmanager. 

Then I restarted my system in order to kill the ghost battlefield 1 process, tried signing out first but that did not kill the process.

Deleted every remaining origin file from my system and I was successfully able to install Origin.

My guess is clearing all the origin files was not necessary because of the Battlefield 1 ghost process running, I can't test if I'm right because I do not have the problem right now. Maybe someone else with this problem can try this. 

TL;DR

The answer to fix the problem is really simple, restart your PC to kill any ghost processes and then start origin after booting so it can update. Do not start origin via a game shortcut.

Message 91 of 618 (3,591 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I don't really know why but it tells me I don't have permissions to edit/remove the file's but I should let an administrator do it. Just to make clear, I am the owner of the PC and it is not in any school or work network. This is just my home PC. Can someone please help me I have this problem for over a week now.

Message 92 of 618 (3,544 Views)

Can't update Origin. Error Code 9.0

★ Novice

I am trying to install origin so I can play sims 4 however after I have run it, there is a message that says ' Whoops-the installer encountered an error'

error-9.0

Message 93 of 618 (3,201 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Hi @tyeeshalewisxxx

Look here follow the steps http://answers.ea.com/t5/Origin/Download-Error-9-0/td-p/5730556 and you should be fine,mate.Wink

Retired champion.
Message 94 of 618 (3,192 Views)

★★ Novice

that damn beta * up origin 4 good, this is the 3 rd update that give me back this error, EA fix ur damn drm for god sake!

Message 95 of 618 (3,464 Views)

Re: [PC ORIGIN] Can't install new update, code 9:0?

★★ Novice

Hi, I hope this convo hasn't been abandoned yet because I've been having this problem and I usually would just leave my computer alone for a week then install origin again. But my patience has gone short with EA AND I NEED TO PLAY SIMS. I tried deleting cache, disabling my anti-virus software, doing a clean boot (i think i did it correctly) also I tried to rename the "originthinsetupinternal.exe" but it said i needed administrator permission but i do! Is there any other solutions that you know about?

Message 96 of 618 (3,251 Views)

★★★ Novice

I had the same error and for me it helped that I deleted/moved the "OriginThinSetupInternal.exe" from the Main Origin-Dir. Before that I cleared the caches but that doesn't work.

It have to be said that the ORIGIN-Client is UNRELIABLE! NEVER EVER have had any problems with the STEAM or UPLAY Client. The STEAM-Client is still the best.

Message 97 of 618 (3,395 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hello again,

This was not a satisfied solution. This makes only working the old version. The problem is the old version - this will not uninstalled automatically.

First, check the Origin-MainDir, for me I have it in E:\MainProgs\Origin

Second, delete all contents of this dir.

Third, go to C:\Users\All Users\Origin

In that folder there is a subfolder called "SelfUpdate" and further the subfolder "Staged".

In that folder execute "OriginThinSetupInternal.exe".

The Setup should be finished without problems. After that I had the newest version correctly installed in my Origin-MainDir @ E:\MainProgs\Origin Standard smile

I think the problem is caused of the old program files, so make sure you delete them (manually).

Message 98 of 618 (3,390 Views)

★★ Novice

I did just as you said and still not working still get that Error  code 9.0 

Message 99 of 618 (5,004 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you thank you so very much what you had me do worked I did totally did what you said  ....

@nikolasaras Hi, 

First off, please download the Origin installation file from here once more: https://www.origin.com/download

Next, please navigate to your download folder and right click the "OriginThinSetup.exe" file and choose "Run As Administrator".

If that still does not work, and the installation fails, please follow the below steps in exact order. You did mention that you tried many of them already, but the order is important, so please do it once more for us to ensure we are not missing anything:

1. Manually uninstall Origin.
  2. Run CCleaner.
  3. Restart your router/modem and do a Clean Boot.
  4. Make sure that your UAC is enabled and set to notify.
  5. Download the latest version of Origin and install the client - make sure to run the setup file with administrator rights.
  6. Add firewall/antivirus exceptions for Origin and open the needed ports.
  7. When starting Origin, please make sure to run it as Administrator.

Let us know how you get on afterwards.

Message 100 of 618 (4,659 Views)